(A) An asbestos hazard abatement contractor engaging in any asbestos hazard abatement project shall, during the course of the project:
(1) Conduct each project in a manner that is in compliance with the requirements the director of environmental protection adopts pursuant to section 3704.03 of the Revised Code and the asbestos requirements of the United States occupational safety and health administration set forth in 29 C.F.R. 1926.58 ;
(B) An asbestos hazard abatement contractor that is a public entity shall:
(1) Provide workers with protective clothing and equipment and ensure that the workers involved in any asbestos hazard abatement project use the items properly. Protective clothing and equipment shall include:
(a) Respirators approved by the national institute of occupational safety and health. These respirators shall be fit tested in accordance with requirements of the United States occupational safety and health administration set forth in 29 C.F.R. 1926.58(h) . At the request of an employee, the asbestos hazard abatement contractor shall provide the employee with a powered air purifying respirator, in which case, the testing requirements of division (B)(1)(a) of this section do not apply.
(C) An asbestos hazard abatement specialist engaging in any asbestos hazard abatement project shall, during the course of the project:
(1) Conduct each project in a manner that will meet decontamination procedures, project containment procedures, and asbestos fiber dispersal methods as provided in division (A)(6) of section 3710.02 of the Revised Code;
(2) Ensure that workers utilize, handle, remove, and dispose of the disposable clothing provided by abatement contractors in a manner that will prevent contamination or recontamination of the environment and protect the public health from the hazards of exposure to asbestos;
(3) Ensure that workers utilize protective clothing and equipment and comply with the applicable health and safety standards set forth in division (A) of section 3710.08 of the Revised Code;
(4) Ensure that there is no smoking, eating, or drinking in the work area;
(D) An asbestos hazard evaluation specialist engaged in the identification, detection, and assessment of asbestos-containing materials, the determination of appropriate response actions, or other activities associated with an abatement project or the preparation of management plans, shall comply with the applicable standards of conduct and requirements adopted by the director of health pursuant to section 3710.02 of the Revised Code.
(F) The department may, on a case-by-case basis, approve an alternative to the worker protection requirements of divisions (A), (B), and (C) of this section for an asbestos hazard abatement project conducted by a public entity, provided that the asbestos hazard abatement contractor submits the alternative procedure to the department in writing and demonstrates to the satisfaction of the department that the proposed alternative procedure provides equivalent worker protection.
Cite as R.C. § 3710.08
History. Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 10-08-1992