(1) "Consumer product" means any food or drink that is consumed or used by humans and any drug, including a drug that may be provided legally only pursuant to a prescription, that is intended to be consumed or used by humans.
(2) "Drug," "licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs," "pharmacy," "prescriber," "prescription," and "terminal distributor of dangerous drugs" have the same meanings as in section 4729.01 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Ephedrine" means any material, compound, mixture, or preparation that contains any quantity of ephedrine, any of its salts, optical isomers, or salts of optical isomers.
(4) "Ephedrine product" means a consumer product that contains ephedrine.
(5) "Law enforcement official" means an officer or employee of any agency or authority of the United States, a state, a territory, a political subdivision of a state or territory, or an Indian tribe, who is empowered by the law to investigate or conduct an official inquiry into a potential violation of law or prosecute or otherwise conduct a criminal, civil, or administrative proceeding arising from an alleged violation of law.
(6) "National precursor log exchange" or "exchange" means the electronic system for tracking sales of pseudoephedrine products and ephedrine products on a national basis that is administered by the national association of drug diversion investigators or a successor organization.
(7) "Pharmacist" means a person licensed under Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code to engage in the practice of pharmacy.
(8) "Proof of age" means a driver's license, a commercial driver's license, a military identification card, a passport, or an identification card issued under sections 4507.50 to 4507.52 of the Revised Code that shows a person is eighteen years of age or older.
(9) "Pseudoephedrine" means any material, compound, mixture, or preparation that contains any quantity of pseudoephedrine, any of its salts, optical isomers, or salts of optical isomers.
(10) "Pseudoephedrine product" means a consumer product that contains pseudoephedrine .
(11) "Retailer" means a place of business that offers consumer products for sale to the general public.
(12) "Single-ingredient preparation" means a compound, mixture, preparation, or substance that contains a single active ingredient.
(13) "Stop-sale alert" means a notification sent from the national precursor log exchange to a retailer or terminal distributor of dangerous drugs indicating that the completion of a sale of a pseudoephedrine product or ephedrine product would result in a violation of division (A)(1) of section 2925.56 of the Revised Code or federal law.
(B) A retailer or terminal distributor of dangerous drugs that sells, offers to sell, holds for sale, delivers, or otherwise provides a pseudoephedrine product or ephedrine product to the public shall do all of the following:
(1) Segregate pseudoephedrine products or ephedrine products from other merchandise so that no member of the public may procure or purchase such products without the direct assistance of a pharmacist or other authorized employee of the retailer or terminal distributor of dangerous drugs;
(2) With regard to each time a pseudoephedrine product or ephedrine product is sold or otherwise provided without a valid prescription:
(a) Determine, by examination of a valid proof of age, that the purchaser or recipient is at least eighteen years of age;
(b) Using any information available, including information from the national precursor log exchange if the information is accessible, make a reasonable attempt to ensure that no individual purchases or receives an amount of pseudoephedrine product or ephedrine product that is greater than either of the following:
(i) Three and six tenths grams within a period of a single day;
(ii) Nine grams within a period of thirty consecutive days.
The maximum amounts specified in divisions (B)(2)(b)(i) and (ii) of this section apply to the total amount of base pseudoephedrine or base ephedrine in the pseudoephedrine product or ephedrine product, respectively. The maximum amounts do not apply to the product's overall weight.
Prescriptions, orders, and records maintained pursuant to this section and stocks of pseudoephedrine products and ephedrine products shall be open for inspection to federal, state, county, and municipal officers, and employees of the state board of pharmacy whose duty it is to enforce the laws of this state or of the United States relating to controlled substances. Such prescriptions, orders, records, and stocks shall be open for inspection by the state medical board and its employees for purposes of enforcing Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code.
Cite as R.C. § 3715.05
History. Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.189, HB 334, §1, eff. 3/20/2013.
Effective Date: 05-17-2006