(A) As used in this section and section 3715.25 of the Revised Code:
(1) "Grade" means standards for grades of maple syrup adopted by the United States department of agriculture and accepted by the director of agriculture or grades as defined in rules adopted by the director.
(2) "Maple products" means maple syrup, maple sugar, maple cream, or any other product in which the sugar content is entirely derived from pure maple sap and to which no other sweetener has been added.
(3) "Maple sap" means the unprocessed liquid derived from the maple tree of the acer species.
(4) "Maple sugar" or "maple concrete" means the solid, crystalline products derived from pure maple sap.
(5) "Maple syrup" means the unadulterated liquid food derived by concentration and heat treatment of pure maple sap or by reconstituting maple sugar or maple concrete with water to a density of not less than sixty-six degrees on the brix scale at sixty-eight degrees fahrenheit and any permitted optional ingredients.
(6) "Package" means a container, equal to or less than five gallons in volume, intended to be sold to individuals or commercial businesses for use without further processing or repackaging of the contents.
(B) The director of agriculture shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code that establish voluntary grades, authorized optional ingredients, standards for fill of containers, and standards of weight for the sale of maple products in this state and that specify the analytical tests to be used for determining compliance with those voluntary grade requirements.
(C) The director shall develop and maintain laboratory facilities, equipment, and procedures sufficient to determine whether maple syrup complies with the requirements relative to standards and grades in this chapter and the rules adopted under it.
Effective Date: 10-21-1997