(A) The following are not food service operations:
(1) A retail food establishment licensed under this chapter, including a retail food establishment that provides the services of a food service operation pursuant to an endorsement issued under section 3717.24 of the Revised Code;
(3) A business or that portion of a business that is regulated by the federal government or the department of agriculture as a food manufacturing or food processing business, including a business or that portion of a business regulated by the department of agriculture under Chapter 911., 913., 915., 917., 918., or 925. of the Revised Code.
(B) All of the following are exempt from the requirement to be licensed as a food service operation:
(1) A private home in which individuals related by blood, marriage, or law reside and in which the food that is prepared or served is intended only for those individuals and their nonpaying guests;
(2) A private home operated as a bed-and-breakfast that prepares and offers food to guests, if the home is owner-occupied, the number of available guest bedrooms does not exceed six, breakfast is the only meal offered, and the number of guests served does not exceed sixteen;
(3) A stand operated on the premises of a private home by one or more children under the age of twelve, if the food served is not potentially hazardous;
(4) A residential facility that accommodates not more than sixteen residents; is licensed, certified, registered, or otherwise regulated by the federal government or by the state or a political subdivision of the state; and prepares food for or serves food to only the residents of the facility, the staff of the facility, and any nonpaying guests of residents or staff;
(5) A church, school, fraternal or veterans' organization, volunteer fire organization, or volunteer emergency medical service organization preparing or serving food intended for individual portion service on its premises for not more than seven consecutive days or not more than fifty-two separate days during a licensing period. This exemption extends to any individual or group raising all of its funds during the time periods specified in division (B)(5) of this section for the benefit of the church, school, or organization by preparing or serving food intended for individual portion service under the same conditions.
(6) A common carrier that prepares or serves food, if the carrier is regulated by the federal government;
(7) A food service operation serving thirteen or fewer individuals daily;
(9) A vending machine location where the only foods dispensed are foods from one or both of the following categories:
(a) Prepackaged foods that are not potentially hazardous;
(b) Nuts, panned or wrapped bulk chewing gum, or panned or wrapped bulk candies.
(10) A place servicing the vending machines at a vending machine location described in division (B)(9) of this section;
(11) A commissary servicing vending machines that dispense only milk, milk products, or frozen desserts that are under a state or federal inspection and analysis program;
(12) A "controlled location vending machine location," which means a vending machine location at which all of the following apply:
(a) The vending machines dispense only foods that are not potentially hazardous;
(b) The machines are designed to be filled and maintained in a sanitary manner by untrained persons;
(c) Minimal protection is necessary to ensure against contamination of food and equipment.
(13) A private home that prepares and offers food to guests, if the home is owner-occupied, meals are served on the premises of that home, the number of meals served does not exceed one hundred fifteen per week, and the home displays a notice in a place conspicuous to all of its guests informing them that the home is not required to be licensed as a food service operation;
(14) An individual who prepares full meals or meal components, such as pies or baked goods, in the individual's home to be served off the premises of that home, if the number of meals or meal components prepared for that purpose does not exceed twenty in a seven-day period.
Effective Date: 09-26-2003 .