(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Food nutrition information" includes, but is not limited to, the caloric, fat, carbohydrate, cholesterol, fiber, sugar, potassium, protein, vitamin, mineral, allergen, and sodium content of food. "Food nutrition information" also includes the designation of food as healthy or unhealthy.
(2) "Political subdivision" and "local legislation" have the same meanings as in section 905.503 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Consumer incentive item" means any licensed media character, toy, game, trading card, contest, point accumulation, club membership, admission ticket, token, code or password for digital access, coupon, voucher, incentive, crayons, coloring placemat, or other premium, prize, or consumer product that is associated with a meal served by or acquired from a food service operation.
(B) The director of agriculture has sole and exclusive authority in this state to regulate the provision of food nutrition information and consumer incentive items at food service operations. The director may adopt rules for that purpose in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, including rules that establish a schedule of civil penalties for violations of this section and rules adopted under it. Subject to the approval of the joint committee on agency rule review, portions of the rules may be adopted by referencing all or any part of any federal regulations pertaining to the provision of food nutrition information and consumer incentive items.
The regulation of the provision of food nutrition information and consumer incentive items at food service operations and how food service operations are characterized are matters of general statewide interest that require statewide regulation, and rules adopted under this section constitute a comprehensive plan with respect to all aspects of the regulation of the provision of food nutrition information and consumer incentive items at food service operations in this state. Rules adopted under this section shall be applied uniformly throughout this state.
(C) No political subdivision shall do any of the following:
(1) Enact, adopt, or continue in effect local legislation relating to the provision or nonprovision of food nutrition information or consumer incentive items at food service operations;
(2) Condition a license, a permit, or regulatory approval on the provision or nonprovision of food nutrition information or consumer incentive items at food service operations;
(3) Ban, prohibit, or otherwise restrict food at food service operations based on the food nutrition information or on the provision or nonprovision of consumer incentive items;
(4) Condition a license, a permit, or regulatory approval for a food service operation on the existence or nonexistence of food-based health disparities;
(5) Where food service operations are permitted to operate, ban, prohibit, or otherwise restrict a food service operation based on the existence or nonexistence of food-based health disparities as recognized by the department of health, the national institute of health, or the centers for disease control.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 150, §1, eff. 8/21/2014.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.
Effective Date: 2007 HB217 03-24-200.