(A) As used in this section, "health maintenance organization" means a public or private organization organized under the law of any state that is qualified under section 1310(d) of Title XIII of the "Public Health Service Act," 87 Stat. 931 (1973), 42 U.S.C. 300e-9, or that does all of the following:
(1) Provides or otherwise makes available to enrolled participants health care services including at least the following basic health care services: usual physician services, hospitalization, laboratory, x-ray, emergency and preventive service, and out-of-area coverage;
(2) Is compensated, except for copayments, for the provision of basic health care services to enrolled participants by a payment that is paid on a periodic basis without regard to the date the health care services are provided and that is fixed without regard to the frequency, extent, or kind of health service actually provided;
(3) Provides physician services primarily in either of the following ways:
(a) Directly through physicians who are either employees or partners of the organization;
(b) Through arrangements with individual physicians or one or more groups of physicians organized on a group-practice or individual-practice basis.
(B) As used in this chapter:
(1) "Children's hospital" means any of the following:
(a) A hospital registered under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code that provides general pediatric medical and surgical care, and in which at least seventy-five per cent of annual inpatient discharges for the preceding two calendar years were individuals less than eighteen years of age;
(b) A distinct portion of a hospital registered under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code that provides general pediatric medical and surgical care, has a total of at least one hundred fifty registered pediatric special care and pediatric acute care beds, and in which at least seventy-five per cent of annual inpatient discharges for the preceding two calendar years were individuals less than eighteen years of age;
(c) A distinct portion of a hospital, if the hospital is registered under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code as a children's hospital and the children's hospital meets all the requirements of division (B)(1)(a) of this section.
(2) "Hospital" means an institution classified as a hospital under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code in which are provided to inpatients diagnostic, medical, surgical, obstetrical, psychiatric, or rehabilitation care for a continuous period longer than twenty-four hours or a hospital operated by a health maintenance organization. "Hospital" does not include a facility licensed under Chapter 3721. of the Revised Code, a health care facility operated by the department of mental health and addiction services or the department of developmental disabilities, a health maintenance organization that does not operate a hospital, the office of any private licensed health care professional, whether organized for individual or group practice, or a clinic that provides ambulatory patient services and where patients are not regularly admitted as inpatients. "Hospital" also does not include an institution for the sick that is operated exclusively for patients who use spiritual means for healing and for whom the acceptance of medical care is inconsistent with their religious beliefs, accredited by a national accrediting organization, exempt from federal income taxation under section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, 100 Stat. 2085, 26 U.S.C.A. 1, as amended, and providing twenty-four hour nursing care pursuant to the exemption in division (E) of section 4723.32 of the Revised Code from the licensing requirements of Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code.
(3) "Joint commission" means the commission formerly known as the joint commission on accreditation of healthcare organizations or the joint commission on accreditation of hospitals.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127,HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.127,SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 04-10-2001; 2008 SB279 01-06-2009