(A) As used in this section, "fetal death" has the same meaning as in section 3705.01 of the Revised Code, except that it does not include either of the following:
(1) The product of human conception of at least twenty weeks of gestation;
(2) The purposeful termination of a pregnancy, as described in section 2919.11 of the Revised Code.
(B) If a woman presents herself at a hospital as a result of a fetal death, the hospital shall provide the woman with all of the following:
(1) A written statement, not longer than one page in length, that confirms that the woman was pregnant and that she subsequently suffered a miscarriage that resulted in a fetal death;
(2) Notice of the right of the woman to apply for a fetal death certificate pursuant to section 3705.20 of the Revised Code;
(3) A short, general description of the hospital's procedures for disposing of the product of a fetal death.
A hospital or hospital employee may present the notice and description required by divisions (B)(2) and (B)(3) of this section through oral or written means. The hospital or hospital employee shall document in the woman's medical record that all of the items required by this division were provided to the woman and shall place in the record a copy of the statement required by division (B)(1) of this section.
(C) A hospital or hospital employee is immune from civil or criminal liability or professional disciplinary action with regard to any action taken in good faith compliance with this section.
Effective Date: 2008 SB175 09-12-2008