(A) Each filling station offering self-service shall be operated in accordance with national fire protection association standard number 30A-1990, and the provisions of the "Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970," 84 Stat. 1590, 5 U.S.C.A. 5108 , and any amendments thereto and standards adopted thereunder.
(B) The fire marshal shall adopt, as part of the state fire code, rules governing the equipment, operation, and maintenance of filling stations. The rules shall be such as are necessary for the protection of the persons and property of the public, but shall require as a minimum that:
(1) Gasoline and other flammable or combustible liquids be dispensed only by a person who is not smoking;
(2) A sign, in block letters at least four inches in height, be conspicuously displayed on each gasoline pump island where self-service is offered stating that it is a self-service island;
(3) Signs giving instructions for the operation of gasoline dispensing equipment, in block letters, be conspicuously posted at each filling station offering self-service;
(4) A sign bearing the following words in block letters be conspicuously posted on each gasoline pump island where self-service is offered:
(a) "STOP ENGINE";
(b) "NO SMOKING";
(c) "WARNING -- IT IS UNLAWFUL AND DANGEROUS TO DISPENSE GASOLINE INTO UNAPPROVED CONTAINERS";
(d) "PERSONS USING DISPENSERS WITH HOLD-OPEN LATCHES MUST REMAIN AT THE REFUELING POINT DURING REFUELING".
(5) All signs required by this section be constructed of rigid, weather-resistant material;
(6) Gasoline dispensing nozzles used by any person other than a supervisor, employee, or attendant be of an approved automatic closing type. Any person other than a supervisor, employee, or attendant using a dispenser with a hold-open latch shall remain at the refueling point during refueling.
(C) The fire marshal shall not prohibit the operation of a filling station offering self-service solely because it is an unattended filling station that utilizes key- or card-operated self-service flammable or combustible liquid dispensing equipment.
(D) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to prohibit the fire marshal from adopting reasonable rules governing the safety of self-service flammable or combustible liquid dispensing equipment.
Cite as R.C. § 3741.14
History. Effective Date: 01-08-1993