(A) As used in this section:
(1) An "accredited Ohio thoroughbred horse" means a horse conceived in this state and born in this state which is both of the following:
(a) Born of a mare that is domiciled in this state at the time of the horse's conception, that remains continuously in the state through the date on which the horse is born, and that is registered as required by the rules of the state racing commission;
(b) By a stallion that stands for breeding purposes only in this state in the year in which the horse is conceived, and that is registered as required by the rules of the commission.
(2) An "Ohio foaled horse" means a horse registered as required by the rules of the state racing commission which is either of the following:
(a) A horse born of a mare that enters this state before foaling and remains continuously in this state until the horse is born;
(b) A thoroughbred foal produced within the state by any broodmare shipped into the state to foal and be bred to a registered Ohio stallion. To qualify this foal as an Ohio foaled horse, the broodmare shall remain in this state one year continuously after foaling or continuously through foaling to the cover of the Ohio stallion, whichever is sooner. All horses previously registered as Ohio conceived and foaled shall be considered as Ohio foaled horses effective January 1, 1976.
Any thoroughbred mare may leave this state for periods of time for purposes of activities such as veterinary treatment or surgery, sales purposes, breeding purposes, racing purposes, and similar activities if permission is granted by the state racing commission and the mare is returned to this state immediately upon the conclusion of the requested activity.
(3) "Horse," "stallion," "mare," or "foal" means a horse of the thoroughbred breed as distinguished from a horse of the standard breed or any other breed, and "race" means a race for thoroughbred horses conducted by a permit holder of the state racing commission.
(4) "Horse" includes animals of all ages and of both sexes.
(B) There is hereby created in the state treasury the Ohio thoroughbred race fund, to consist of moneys paid into it pursuant to sections 3769.08 and 3769.087 of the Revised Code. All investment earnings on the cash balances in the fund shall be credited to it. Moneys to the credit of the fund shall be distributed on order of the state racing commission. The commission, with the advice and assistance of the Ohio thoroughbred racing advisory committee, shall use the fund, except as provided in divisions (C)(2) and (3) and (D) of this section, to promote races and provide purses for races for horses in the following classes:
(1) Accredited Ohio thoroughbred horses;
(2) Ohio foaled horses.
Not less than ten nor more than twenty-five per cent of the total money to be paid from the fund for all types of races shall be allocated to races restricted to accredited Ohio thoroughbred horses. The commission may combine the classes of horses described in divisions (B)(1) and (2) of this section in one race, except in stakes races.
(1) Each permit holder conducting thoroughbred races shall schedule races each week for horses in the classes named in division (B) of this section; the number of the races shall be prescribed by the state racing commission. The commission, pursuant to division (B) of this section, shall prescribe the class or classes of the races to be held by each permit holder and, with the advice of the Ohio thoroughbred racing advisory committee, shall fix the dates and conditions of the races and the amount of moneys to be paid from the Ohio thoroughbred race fund to be added in each race to the minimum purse established by the permit holder for the class of race held.
(2) The commission, with the advice of the Ohio thoroughbred racing advisory committee, may provide for stakes races to be run each year, and fix the number of stakes races and the time, place, and conditions under which each shall be run. The commission shall fix the amount of moneys to be paid from the Ohio thoroughbred race fund to be added to the purse provided for each stakes race by the permit holder, except that, in at least four stakes races each year, the commission shall require, if four stakes races can be arranged, that the permit holder conducting the stakes race provide no less than fifteen thousand dollars for the purse for the stakes race, and the commission shall provide moneys from the fund to be added to the purse in an amount equal to or greater than the amount provided by the permit holder. The commission may require a nominating, sustaining, and entry fee not to exceed one per cent of the money added from the fund for each horse in any stakes race, which fee shall be added to the purse for the race.
Stakes races where money is added from the Ohio thoroughbred race fund shall be open only to accredited Ohio thoroughbred horses and Ohio foaled horses. Twenty-five per cent of the total moneys to be paid from the fund for stakes races shall be allocated to races for only accredited Ohio thoroughbred horses. The commission may require a nominating, sustaining, and entry fee, not to exceed one per cent of the money added from the fund, for each horse in any of these stakes races. These fees shall be accumulated by the commission and shall be paid out by the commission at its discretion as part of the purse money for additional races.
(3) The commission may pay from the Ohio thoroughbred race fund to the breeder of a horse of class (1) or (2) of division (B) of this section winning first, second, or third prize money of a purse for a thoroughbred race an amount not to exceed fifteen per cent of the first, second, or third prize money of the purse. For the purposes of this division, the term "breeder" shall be defined by rule of the commission.
The commission also may provide for stallion owners' awards in an amount equal to not less than three nor more than ten per cent of the first, second, or third place share of the purse. The award shall be paid to the owner of the stallion, provided that the stallion was standing in this state as provided in division (A)(1)(b) of this section at the time the horse placing first, second, or third was conceived.
(D) The state racing commission may provide for the expenditure of moneys from the Ohio thoroughbred race fund in an amount not to exceed in any one calendar year ten per cent of the total amount received in the account that year to provide for research projects directed toward improving the breeding, raising, racing, and health and soundness of thoroughbred horses in the state and toward education or promotion of the industry. Research for which the moneys from the fund may be used may include, but shall not be limited to, studies of pre-race blood testing, post-race testing, improvement of the breed, and nutrition.
(E) The state racing commission shall appoint qualified personnel as may be required to supervise registration of horses under the terms of this section, to determine the eligibility of horses for accredited Ohio thoroughbred races, Ohio foaled races, and the stakes races authorized by division (C)(2) of this section, and to assist the Ohio thoroughbred racing advisory committee and the commission in determining the conditions, class, and quality of the race program to be established under this section so as to carry out the purposes of this section. The personnel shall serve at the pleasure of the commission, and compensation shall be fixed by the commission. The compensation of the personnel and necessary expenses shall be paid out of the Ohio thoroughbred race fund.
The commission shall adopt rules as are necessary to carry out this section and shall administer the stakes race program and other races supported by the Ohio thoroughbred race fund in a manner best designed to aid in the development of the thoroughbred horse industry in the state, to upgrade the quality of horse racing in the state, and to improve the quality of horses conceived and foaled in the state.
(F) The state racing commission shall adopt rules regarding the maintenance and use of money collected for quarter horse development and purses under division (C) of section 3769.08 and division (A) of section 3769.087 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 1/1/2016.
Effective Date: 03-29-1988; 04-04-200.
Related Legislative Provision: See 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §803.290.