(A) A transferee shall file an application under sections 3770.10 to 3770.14 of the Revised Code for the approval in advance of a transfer of a lottery prize award in a court of competent jurisdiction.
(B) The following procedures shall apply to an application for the approval in advance by a court of a transfer of a lottery prize award under division (A) of this section:
(1) Upon the filing of the application, the court shall set a date, time, and place for a hearing on the application and shall notify the transferee and transferor of the date, time, and place of the hearing.
(2) Not less than thirty days prior to the date set by the court for the hearing on an application filed pursuant to this section, the transferee shall file with the court and shall serve on the state lottery commission, in the manner prescribed in the Rules of Civil Procedure for the service of process, a notice of the proposed transfer and the application for its approval in advance. The notice shall include all of the following:
(a) A copy of the application;
(b) A copy of the transfer agreement or, if the transferor is not a prize winner, a redacted copy of the transfer agreement that discloses sufficient information to allow the commission and the court to determine the validity of the transfer agreement;
(c) If the transferor is a prize winner, a copy of the disclosure statement provided by the transferee pursuant to section 3770.11 of the Revised Code and signed by the prize winner pursuant to division (A) of section 3770.12 of the Revised Code;
(d) The amounts and due dates of the lottery prize award payments that will be transferred under the transfer agreement;
(e) Notification of the date, time, and place of the hearing on the application;
(f) The complete name, address, and taxpayer identification number of the transferee.
(3) The commission shall not be required to appear in or be named as a party to a hearing on the application, but may intervene as of right in the proceeding.
(4) At the conclusion of the hearing on an application under this section, the court may grant or deny the approval of the transfer. The court shall enter its order accordingly. If the court grants the approval of the transfer, it shall include in its order all of the express findings specified in section 3770.12 of the Revised Code. If the court denies the approval of the transfer, it shall include in its order the reasons for the denial.
(5) An order of the court made under division (B)(4) of this section is a final and appealable order.
Cite as R.C. § 3770.13
History. Effective Date: 09-17-2002