(A) The board of building standards shall issue a certificate of competency as an electrical safety inspector to any person whom it determines to be of good moral character and who successfully passes an examination pursuant to division (B) of this section, or who qualifies for renewal pursuant to section 3783.04 of the Revised Code. Each certificate of competency issued by the board shall be signed by the chairman and the secretary of the board, and shall show on its face the dates of issuance and expiration.
(B) The board shall administer an examination to an applicant for a certificate of competency as an electrical safety inspector if such applicant has paid an application fee, as prescribed by the board, and meets any of the following qualifications:
(1) Has been a journeyman electrician or equivalent for four years, two years of which were as an electrician foreman, and has had two years experience as a building inspector trainee of electrical systems;
(2) Has been a journeyman electrician or equivalent for four years and has had three years experience as a building inspector trainee of electrical systems;
(3) Has had four years experience as a building inspector trainee of electrical systems;
(4) Has been a journeyman electrician or equivalent for six years;
(5) Is a graduate electrical engineer and registered by the state of Ohio.
An applicant who fails two examinations shall not be eligible to take another examination until he has successfully completed a training program approved by the board pursuant to division (C) of this section. A new application fee shall be required for each examination given an applicant.
(C) No training program for electrical safety inspectors shall be offered in this state unless approved by the board of building standards. The board may issue an electrical safety inspector trainee certificate to any person enrolled in an approved training program. A person possessing a trainee certificate may work under the supervision of an electrical safety inspector and such experience shall be considered equivalent to that of a building inspector trainee of electrical systems in satisfying the requirement under division (B) of this section.
(D) The board may deny a certificate to an applicant who commits an act that would constitute grounds for disciplinary action under Chapter 3783. of the Revised Code if committed by an electrical safety inspector.
(E) The board shall keep a record of the names, addresses, and such other information as it requires, of each electrical safety inspector and each electrical safety inspector trainee and a record of its proceedings under Chapter 3783. of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 06-22-1984.