(A) The director of job and family services, in consultation with the office of health transformation, shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code for the purpose of establishing standards the director must use to approve health information exchanges operating in this state. The rules shall not be adopted until the earlier of sixty days following the adoption of a federal certification process for health information exchanges by the office of the national coordinator for health information technology in the United States department of health and human services or January 1, 2013. Subject to division (B) of this section, the rules may include standards and procedures to be followed by a health information exchange regarding the following:
(1) Access to and use and disclosure of protected health information maintained by or on an approved health information exchange;
(2) Demonstration of adequate financial resources to sustain continued operations in compliance with the rules adopted under this section;
(3) Participation in outreach activities for individuals and covered entities;
(4) Conduct of operations in a transparent manner to promote consumer confidence;
(5) Implementation of security breach notification procedures.
(B) The rules the director adopts pursuant to division (A) of this section shall be consistent with certification standards for health information exchanges established in federal statutes and regulations, including nationally recognized standards for interoperability.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127,HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.