(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Genetic screening or testing" means a laboratory test of a person's genes or chromosomes for abnormalities, defects, or deficiencies, including carrier status, that are linked to physical or mental disorders or impairments, or that indicate a susceptibility to illness, disease, or other disorders, whether physical or mental, which test is a direct test for abnormalities, defects, or deficiencies, and not an indirect manifestation of genetic disorders.
(2) "Insurer" means any person authorized under Title XXXIX of the Revised Code to engage in the business of sickness and accident insurance.
(3) "Sickness and accident insurance" means sickness and accident insurance under Chapter 3923. of the Revised Code excluding disability income insurance and excluding supplemental policies of sickness and accident insurance.
(B) Upon the repeal of section 3901.49 of the Revised Code , no insurer shall do either of the following:
(1) Consider any information obtained from genetic screening or testing in processing an application for an individual or group policy of sickness and accident insurance, or in determining insurability under such a policy;
(2) Inquire, directly or indirectly, into the results of genetic screening or testing or use such information, in whole or in part, to cancel, refuse to issue or renew, or limit benefits under, a sickness and accident insurance policy.
(C) Any insurer that has engaged in, is engaged in, or is about to engage in a violation of division (B) of this section is subject to the jurisdiction of the superintendent of insurance under section 3901.04 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 09-26-2003