(A) For purposes of sections 3903.81 to 3903.93 of the Revised Code, a "company action level event" is any of the following events:
(1) A domestic or foreign insurer's filing of an RBC report that indicates that the insurer's total adjusted capital is greater than or equal to its regulatory action level RBC but less than its company action level RBC;
(2) A life or health insurer's filing of an RBC report that indicates that the insurer's total adjusted capital is greater than or equal to its company action level RBC but less than the product of 3.0 and its authorized control level RBC, and that indicates a negative trend;
(3) A property and casualty insurer's filing of an RBC report that indicates that the insurer's total adjusted capital is greater than or equal to its company action level RBC but less than the product of its authorized control level RBC and 3.0, and that triggers the trend test determined in accordance with the trend test calculation included in the property and casualty RBC instructions;
(4) The notification by the superintendent of insurance to an insurer of an adjustment to the insurer's RBC report, which adjusted RBC report shows the insurer's total adjusted capital within the range described in either division (A)(1) or (2) of this section, provided that the insurer does not challenge the adjusted RBC report under section 3903.87 of the Revised Code;
(5) The superintendent's notification to an insurer, following the hearing required under section 3903.87 of the Revised Code, that the superintendent has rejected the insurer's challenge to an adjusted RBC report showing the insurer's total adjusted capital within the range described in either division (A)(1) or (2) of this section.
(B) In the case of a company action level event, the insurer shall prepare and submit to the superintendent an RBC plan that shall:
(1) Identify the conditions that contributed to the company action level event;
(2) Contain proposals of corrective actions that the insurer intends to take to eliminate the conditions leading to the company action level event;
(3) Provide projections of the insurer's financial results in the current year and at least the four succeeding years, both in the absence of the proposed corrective actions and giving effect to the proposed corrective actions. The projections shall include projections of statutory operating income, net income, capital, and surplus. Projections for both new and renewal business may include separate projections for each major line of business, and may separately identify each significant income, expense, and benefit component of the projection.
(4) Identify the key assumptions impacting the insurer's projections made pursuant to division (B)(3) of this section, and describe the sensitivity of the projections to the assumptions;
(5) Identify the quality of, and problems associated with, the insurer's business, including, but not limited to, its assets, anticipated business growth and associated surplus strain, extraordinary exposure to risk, mix of business, and use of reinsurance.
(C) The RBC plan shall be submitted within forty-five days after a company action level event. However, if an insurer has challenged an adjusted RBC report pursuant to section 3903.87 of the Revised Code, the RBC plan need not be submitted until after the hearing required under section 3903.87 of the Revised Code. If the superintendent rejects the insurer's challenge, the RBC plan shall be submitted within forty-five days after the superintendent's notification to the insurer of the rejection of the challenge.
(1) Within sixty days after an insurer submits an RBC plan to the superintendent, the superintendent shall either require the insurer to implement the RBC plan or shall notify the insurer that the RBC plan is unsatisfactory in the judgment of the superintendent. If the superintendent has determined that the RBC plan is unsatisfactory, the notification to the insurer shall set forth the reasons for the determination, and may set forth proposed revisions that will render the RBC plan satisfactory in the judgment of the superintendent. Upon such notification from the superintendent, the insurer shall prepare and submit a revised RBC plan, which may incorporate by reference any revisions proposed by the superintendent.
(2) If an insurer challenges, under section 3903.87 of the Revised Code, a notification from the Superintendent that the insurer's RBC plan or a revised RBC plan is unsatisfactory, submission of a revised RBC plan need not be made unless the superintendent rejects the insurer's challenge following the hearing required by section 3903.87 of the Revised Code and then notifies the insurer of this rejection.
(3) An insurer shall submit a revised RBC plan to the superintendent within forty-five days after receiving notification from the superintendent that its RBC plan is unsatisfactory, or, that its challenge to a notification made under division (D)(1) of this section has been rejected, as applicable.
(E) Notwithstanding division (D) of this section, if the superintendent notifies an insurer that its RBC plan or revised RBC plan is unsatisfactory, the superintendent may, at the superintendent's discretion, but subject to the insurer's right to a hearing under section 3903.87 of the Revised Code, specify in the notification that the notification constitutes a regulatory action level event.
(F) Every domestic insurer that submits an RBC plan or revised RBC plan to the superintendent shall file a copy of the RBC plan or revised RBC plan with the insurance regulatory authority of every state in which the insurer is authorized to do business upon receiving the insurance regulatory authority's written request for a copy of the plan, if the state has a confidentiality law with provisions substantially similar to those set forth in divisions (A) and (B) of section 3903.88 of the Revised Code. The insurer shall file the copy in that state no later than the later of:
(1) Fifteen days after receiving the request for a copy of the plan;
(2) The date on which the RBC plan or revised RBC plan is filed pursuant to division (C) or (D) of this section.
Cite as R.C. § 3903.83
History. Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 140, §1, eff. 9/4/2014.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.18, HB 300, §1, eff. 5/26/2010.
Effective Date: 06-18-2002
Related Legislative Provision: See 128th General AssemblyFile No.18, HB 300, §3
Note: This section is set out twice. See also § 3903.83 , effective until 9/4/2014.