(A) Except as otherwise provided in this section or in section 3905.041 of the Revised Code, a resident individual applying for an insurance agent license for any of the lines of authority described in division (B) of this section shall take and pass a written examination prior to application for licensure. The examination shall test the knowledge of the individual with respect to the lines of authority for which application will be made, the duties and responsibilities of an insurance agent, and the insurance laws of this state. Before admission to the examination, each individual shall pay the nonrefundable examination fee.
(B) The examination described in division (A) of this section shall be required for the following lines of authority:
(2) Title insurance;
(4) Any other line of authority designated by the superintendent of insurance.
(C) An individual shall not be permitted to take the examination described in division (A) of this section unless one of the following applies:
(1) The individual has earned a bachelor's or associate's degree in insurance from an accredited institution.
(2) The individual has earned a professional designation approved by the superintendent.
(3) The individual has completed, for each line of authority for which the individual has applied, twenty hours of study in a program of insurance education approved by the superintendent, under criteria established by the superintendent. Division (C) of this section does not apply with respect to title insurance or any other line of authority designated by the superintendent.
(D) An individual who fails to appear for an examination as scheduled, or fails to pass an examination, may reapply for the examination if the individual pays the required fee and submits any necessary forms prior to being rescheduled for the examination.
(1) The superintendent may, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, adopt any rule necessary for the implementation of this section.
(2) The superintendent may make any necessary arrangements, including contracting with an outside testing service, for the administration of the examinations and the collection of the fees required by this section.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 471, §1, eff. 12/19/2016.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.18, HB 300, §1, eff. 5/26/2010.
Effective Date: 09-01-2002; 09-29-200.
Related Legislative Provision: See 128th General AssemblyFile No.18, HB 300, §6 .
See 128th General AssemblyFile No.18, HB 300, §3 .