(A) There is hereby created the insurance agent education advisory council to advise the superintendent of insurance in carrying out the duties imposed under sections 3905.04 and 3905.481 to 3905.486 of the Revised Code.
(B) The council shall be composed of the superintendent, or the superintendent's designee, and twelve members appointed by the superintendent, as follows:
(1) One representative of the association of Ohio life insurance companies;
(2) One representative of the independent insurance agents of Ohio;
(3) One representative of the Ohio association of health underwriters;
(4) One representative of the national association of insurance and financial advisors-Ohio;
(5) One representative of the Ohio insurance institute;
(6) One representative of the professional insurance agents association of Ohio;
(7) One representative of the Ohio land title association;
(8) Two insurance agents each of whom has been licensed continuously during the five-year period immediately preceding the agent's appointment;
(9) One representative of an insurance company admitted to transact business in this state;
(10) Two representatives of consumers, one of whom shall be at least sixty years of age.
(1) Of the initial eleven appointments made by the superintendent, three shall be for terms ending December 31, 1994, four shall be for terms ending December 31, 1995, and four shall be for terms ending December 31, 1996. Thereafter, terms of office shall be for three years, each term ending on the thirty-first day of December of the third year.
(2) The initial appointment of the twelfth member made by the superintendent under division (B)(7) of this section, pursuant to Am. Sub. S.B. 129 of the 124th general assembly, shall be for a term ending December 31, 2003. Thereafter, the term of office shall be for three years, ending on the thirty-first day of December of the third year.
(D) Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of such term. Any member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office, or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first. A vacancy shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment.
(E) Initial appointments to the council shall be made no later than thirty days after April 16, 1993. The initial appointment of the twelfth member to the council under division (B)(7) of this section, pursuant to Am. Sub. S.B. 129 of the 124th general assembly, shall be made no later than December 31, 2002.
(F) Any member is eligible for reappointment. The superintendent, after notice and opportunity for a hearing, may remove for cause any member the superintendent appoints.
(G) The superintendent or the superintendent's designee shall serve as chairperson of the council. Meetings shall be held upon the call of the chairperson and as may be provided by procedures adopted by the superintendent. Seven members of the council constitute a quorum.
(H) Each member shall receive mileage and necessary and actual expenses while engaged in the business of the council.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.18,HB 300, §1, eff. 5/26/2010.
Effective Date: 09-01-2002
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39,SB 171, §4
See 128th General AssemblyFile No.18,HB 300, §6
See 128th General AssemblyFile No.18,HB 300, §3