As used in this chapter:
(B) "Contractual obligation" means any obligation under a policy, contract, or certificate under a group policy or contract, or portion of the policy or contract, for which coverage is provided under section 3956.04 of the Revised Code.
(D) "Impaired insurer" means a member insurer that, after November 20, 1989, is not an insolvent insurer, and to which either of the following applies:
(1) The insurer is considered by the superintendent to be potentially unable to fulfill its contractual obligations;
(2) The insurer is placed under an order of rehabilitation or conservation by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(E) "Insolvent insurer" means a member insurer that, after November 20, 1989, is placed under an order of liquidation by a court of competent jurisdiction with a finding of insolvency.
(1) "Member insurer" means any insurer that holds a certificate of authority or is licensed to transact in this state any kind of insurance for which coverage is provided under section 3956.04 of the Revised Code, and includes any insurer whose certificate of authority or license in this state may have been suspended, revoked, not renewed, or voluntarily withdrawn after November 20, 1989.
(2) "Member insurer" does not include any of the following:
(a) A health insuring corporation;
(b) A fraternal benefit society;
(c) A self-insurance or joint self-insurance pool or plan of the state or any political subdivision of the state;
(d) A mutual protective association;
(e) An insurance exchange;
(g) Any entity similar to any of those described in divisions (F)(2)(a) to (f) of this section.
(3) "Member insurer" includes any insurer that operates any of the entities described in division (F)(2) of this section as a line of business, and not as a separate, affiliated legal entity, and otherwise qualifies as a member insurer.
(G) "Premiums" means amounts received on covered policies or contracts, less premiums, considerations, and deposits returned on the policies or contracts, and less dividends and experience credits on the policies and contracts. "Premiums" does not include either of the following:
(1) Any amounts in excess of one million dollars received on any unallocated annuity contract not issued under a governmental retirement plan established under Section 401, 403(b), or 457 of the "Internal Revenue Code of 1986," 100 Stat. 2085, 26 U.S.C.A. 1 , as amended;
(2) Any amounts received for any policies or contracts or for the portions of any policies or contracts for which coverage is not provided under section 3956.04 of the Revised Code. Division (G)(2) of this section shall not be construed to require the exclusion, from assessable premiums, of premiums paid for coverages in excess of the interest limitations specified in division (B)(2)(c) of section 3956.04 of the Revised Code or of premiums paid for coverages in excess of the limitations with respect to any one individual, any one participant, or any one contract holder specified in division (C)(2) of section 3956.04 of the Revised Code.
(H) "Resident" means any person who resides in this state at the time a member insurer is determined to be an impaired or insolvent insurer and to whom a contractual obligation is owed. A person may be a resident of only one state, which, in the case of a person other than a natural person, shall be its principal place of business.
(J) "Supplemental contract" means any agreement entered into for the distribution of policy or contract proceeds.
(K) "Unallocated annuity contract" means any annuity contract or group annuity certificate that is not issued to and owned by an individual, except to the extent of any annuity benefits guaranteed to an individual by an insurer under that contract or certificate.
Effective Date: 06-04-1997