(A) A purchasing group and its insurer or insurers are subject to all applicable laws of this state, except that a purchasing group and its insurer or insurers, in regard to liability insurance for the purchasing group, are exempt from any law that does any of the following:
(1) Prohibits the establishment of a purchasing group;
(2) Makes it unlawful for an insurer to provide or offer to provide insurance on a basis providing, to a purchasing group or its members, advantages based on their loss and expense experience not afforded to other persons with respect to rates, policy forms, coverages, or other matters;
(3) Prohibits a purchasing group or its members from purchasing insurance on a group basis described in division (A)(2) of this section;
(4) Prohibits a purchasing group from obtaining insurance on a group basis because the group has not been in existence for a minimum period of time or because any member has not belonged to the group for a minimum period of time;
(5) Requires that a purchasing group have a minimum number of members, common ownership or affiliation, or a certain legal form;
(6) Requires that a certain percentage of a purchasing group obtain insurance on a group basis;
(7) Otherwise discriminates against a purchasing group or any of its members;
(8) Requires that any insurance policy issued to a purchasing group or any of its members be countersigned by an insurance agent or broker residing in this state.
(B) The superintendent of insurance may require or exempt a risk retention group from participation in any joint underwriting association established under section 3930.03 or in the plan established under section 4509.70 of the Revised Code. Any risk retention group that is required to participate under this division shall submit sufficient information to the superintendent to enable the superintendent to apportion on a nondiscriminatory basis the risk retention group's proportionate share of losses and expenses.
Cite as R.C. § 3960.06
History. Effective Date: 10-26-1989; 12-30-2004; 06-27-2005