(A) There is hereby created the workers' compensation board of directors nominating committee consisting of the following:
(1) Three individuals who are members of affiliated employee organizations of the Ohio chapter of the American federation of labor-congress of industrial organizations, who are selected by the Ohio chapter of the American federation of labor-congress of industrial organizations and who, on account of their previous vocation, employment, or affiliations, can be classed as representative of employees who are members of an employee organization. Terms of office shall be for one year, with each term ending on the same day of the same month as did the term that it succeeds.
(2) Two individuals who, on account of their previous vocation, employment, or affiliations, can be classed as representative of employees, one of whom shall be an injured worker with a valid, open, and active workers' compensation claim and at least one of these two representatives also shall represent employees who are not members of an employee organization. The president of the senate and the speaker of the house of representatives each shall appoint annually one of these members. The member who is an injured worker shall serve for a full term even if the member's workers' compensation claim is invalidated, closed, or inactivated during the member's term.
(3) The chief executive officer, or the equivalent of the chief executive officer, of the Ohio chamber of commerce, the Ohio manufacturers' association, the Ohio self-insurers' association, the Ohio council of retail merchants, the national federation of independent business, and the Ohio farm bureau;
(4) The director of development;
(5) The president of the Ohio township association and the president of the Ohio county commissioners association, or if any of the following circumstances apply:
(a) In the event of a vacancy in either presidency, a designee appointed by the governing body authorized to appoint the president. A designee so appointed shall serve on the nominating committee only until the vacancy in the presidency is filled.
(b) In the event that the president of the Ohio township association is unavailable, a designee selected by the president;
(c) In the event that the president of the Ohio county commissioners association is unavailable, a designee selected by the president.
(B) Each member appointed under divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section shall hold office from the date of the member's appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. Such members may be reappointed. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner provided for original appointments. Any such member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration date of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office as a member for the remainder of that term. Such a member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first.
(C) The nominating committee shall meet at the request of the governor or as the nominating committee determines appropriate in order to make recommendations to the governor for the appointment of members of the bureau of workers' compensation board of directors under section 4121.12 of the Revised Code.
(D) The director of development shall serve as chairperson of the nominating committee and have no voting rights on matters coming before the nominating committee, except that the director may vote in the event of a tie vote of the nominating committee. Annually, the nominating committee shall select a secretary from among its members. The nominating committee may adopt by-laws governing its proceedings.
(E) Members of the nominating committee shall be paid their reasonable and necessary expenses pursuant to section 126.31 of the Revised Code while engaged in the performance of their duties as members of the nominating committee.
(F) The nominating committee shall:
(1) Review and evaluate possible appointees for the board. In reviewing and evaluating possible appointees for the board, the nominating committee may accept comments from, cooperate with, and request information from any person.
(G) The nominating committee may make recommendations to the general assembly concerning changes in legislation that will assist the nominating committee in the performance of its duties.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.16, HB 123, §101, eff. 7/29/2011.
Effective Date: 09-01-1995; 2007 HB100 09-10-200.