(A) When a claim for unemployment compensation is filed by an individual who owes child support obligations, the director of job and family services shall notify the state or local child support enforcement agency enforcing the obligation only if the claimant has been determined to be eligible for unemployment compensation.
(B) The director shall deduct and withhold from unemployment compensation payable to an individual who owes child support obligations:
(1) Any amount required to be deducted and withheld from the unemployment compensation pursuant to legal process, as that term is defined in section 459(i)(5) of the "Social Security Act," as amended by the "Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996," 100 Stat. 2105, 42 U.S.C. 659, and properly served upon the director, as described in division (C) of this section; or
(2) Where division (B)(1) of this section is inapplicable, in the amount determined pursuant to an agreement submitted to the director under section 454(19)(B)(i) of the "Social Security Act," 88 Stat. 2351, 42 U.S.C. 654, as amended, by the state or local child support enforcement agency; or
(3) If neither division (B)(1) nor (2) of this section is applicable, then in the amount specified by the individual.
(C) The director shall receive all legal process described in division (B)(1) of this section from each local child support enforcement agency, which legal process was issued by the agency under section 3121.07 of the Revised Code or otherwise was issued by the agency.
(D) The amount of unemployment compensation subject to being withheld pursuant to division (B) of this section is that amount that remains payable to the individual after application of any recoupment provisions for recovery of overpayments and after deductions that have been made under this chapter for deductible income received by the individual.
(E) Any amount deducted and withheld under division (B) of this section shall be paid to the appropriate state or local child support enforcement agency in the following manner:
(1) The director shall determine the amounts that are to be deducted and withheld on a per county basis.
(2) For each county, the director shall forward to the local child support enforcement agency of the county, the amount determined for that county under division (E)(1) of this section for disbursement to the obligees or assignees of such support obligations.
(F) Any amount deducted and withheld under division (B) of this section shall for all purposes be treated as if it were paid to the individual as unemployment compensation and paid by the individual to the state or local child support agency in satisfaction of the individual's child support obligations.
(G) This section applies only if appropriate arrangements have been made for reimbursement by the state or local child support enforcement agency for the administrative costs incurred by the director under this section which are associated with or attributable to child support obligations being enforced by the state or local child support enforcement agency.
(H) As used in this section:
(1) "Child support obligations" means only obligations that are being enforced pursuant to a plan described in section 454 of the "Social Security Act," 88 Stat. 2351, 42 U.S.C. 654, as amended, which has been approved by the United States secretary of health and human services under part D of Title IV of the "Social Security Act," 88 Stat. 2351, 42 U.S.C. 651, as amended.
(2) "State child support enforcement agency" means the work unit within the department of job and family services, or the state agency of another state, designated as the single state agency for the administration of the program of child support enforcement pursuant to part D of Title IV of the "Social Security Act," 88 Stat. 2351, 42 U.S.C. 651, as amended.
(3) "Local child support enforcement agency" means a child support enforcement agency or any other agency of a political subdivision of the state operating pursuant to a plan mentioned in division (H)(1) of this section.
(4) "Unemployment compensation" means any compensation payable under this chapter including amounts payable by the director pursuant to an agreement under any federal law providing for compensation, assistance, or allowances with respect to unemployment.
Effective Date: 10-31-2001 .