(A) No person shall do any of the following:
(1) Operate in this state a motor vehicle for which a certificate of title is required without having that certificate in accordance with this chapter or, if a physical certificate of title has not been issued for a motor vehicle, operate the motor vehicle in this state knowing that the ownership information relating to the vehicle has not been entered into the automated title processing system by a clerk of a court of common pleas;
(2) Display or display for sale or sell as a dealer or acting on behalf of a dealer, a motor vehicle without having obtained a manufacturer's or importer's certificate, a certificate of title, or an assignment of a certificate of title for it as provided in this chapter;
(3) Fail to surrender any certificate of title or any certificate of registration or license plates upon cancellation of the same by the registrar of motor vehicles and notice of the cancellation as prescribed in this chapter;
(4) Fail to surrender the certificate of title to a clerk of a court of common pleas as provided in this chapter in case of the destruction or dismantling or change of a motor vehicle in such respect that it is not the motor vehicle described in the certificate of title;
(5) Violate any rules adopted pursuant to this chapter;
(6) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and Chapter 4517. of the Revised Code, sell at wholesale a motor vehicle the ownership of which is not evidenced by an Ohio certificate of title, or the current certificate of title issued for the motor vehicle, or the manufacturer's certificate of origin, and all title assignments that evidence the seller's ownership of the motor vehicle, and an odometer disclosure statement that complies with section 4505.06 of the Revised Code and subchapter IV of the "Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act," 86 Stat. 961 (1972), 15 U.S.C. 1981 ;
(7) Operate in this state a motor vehicle knowing that the certificate of title to the vehicle or ownership of the vehicle as otherwise reflected in the automated title processing system has been canceled.
(B) This section does not apply to persons engaged in the business of warehousing or transporting motor vehicles for the purpose of salvage disposition.
(C) Whoever violates this section shall be fined not more than two hundred dollars, imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both.
Cite as R.C. § 4505.18
History. Effective Date: 01-11-2004