(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Mass transit system" means any county transit system, regional transit authority, regional transit commission, municipally owned transportation system, mass transit company operating exclusively within the territorial limits of a municipal corporation, or within such limits and the territorial limits of municipal corporations immediately contiguous to such municipal corporation, and any common passenger carrier , that provides transportation for children to or from a school session or a school function.
(2) "Bus" means every motor vehicle designed for carrying more than nine passengers and used for the transportation of persons, but does not mean any school bus as defined in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Whenever a mass transit system transports children to or from a school session or school function, the mass transit system shall provide for:
(1) Periodic safety inspections of all buses used to provide transportation service. The inspections shall be based on rules adopted by the public utilities commission under Chapters 4921. and 4923. of the Revised Code to ensure the safety of operation of motor carriers.
(2) The safety training of all drivers operating buses used to provide transportation service;
(3) The equipping of every bus with outside rear-view mirrors meeting the motor carrier regulations for bus equipment adopted by the federal highway administration. No exclusions from this requirement granted under the federal regulations shall be considered exclusions for the purposes of this division.
(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.
Cite as R.C. § 4511.78
History. Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 6/11/2012.
Effective Date: 01-01-2004