(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, any person who performs labor or who provides services pursuant to a construction contract may offer or provide architectural services in connection with the person's own labor or services if all of the following apply:
(1) The architectural services are provided and performed by an architect registered under this chapter or by a firm holding a certificate of authorization granted pursuant to this chapter through either direct employment or independent contract with the person contracting with the owner and offering the services.
(2) The architectural services are offered by the person who intends to perform the actual construction of an improvement to real property as part of a design-build contract.
(3) The contractor, the architect registered under this chapter, or the firm holding a certificate of authorization granted pursuant to this chapter meets the requirements of section 153.70 of the Revised Code when design-build services are provided to a public authority as defined in section 153.65 of the Revised Code.
(B) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall offer or engage in the practice of architecture without a certificate of authorization for any construction contract that is to be constructed by another person, or hold himself or herself out to the public as engaging in the practice of architecture or as providing architectural services without a certificate of authorization.
(C) As used in this section:
(1) "Construction contract" means any oral or written agreement that involves any activity in connection with the erection, alteration, repair, replacement, renovation, installation, or demolition of any building, structure, highway, or bridge.
(2) "Design-build" means a project delivery system for improvements to real property by which a person is solely responsible contractually as a contractor to an owner for both the design and construction of the improvement, which design and construction may include a performance-based specification established by the owner rather than a specific design as an improvement goal. As used in this division, "contractor" has the same meaning as in section 4113.61 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 11-24-1995 .