(A) There is hereby created the state board of cosmetology, consisting of all of the following members appointed by the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate:
(1) One individual holding a current, valid cosmetologist or cosmetology instructor license at the time of appointment;
(2) Two individuals holding current, valid cosmetologist licenses and actively engaged in managing beauty salons for a period of not less than five years at the time of appointment;
(3) One individual who holds a current, valid independent contractor license at the time of appointment and practices a branch of cosmetology;
(4) One individual who represents individuals who teach the theory and practice of a branch of cosmetology at a vocational or career-technical school;
(5) One owner or executive actively engaged in the daily operations of a licensed school of cosmetology;
(6) One owner of at least five licensed salons;
(7) One individual who is either a certified nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist holding a current, valid license to practice nursing as an advanced practice registered nurse issued under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code or a physician authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery;
(8) One individual representing the general public;
(9) One individual who holds a current, valid tanning permit and who has owned or managed a tanning facility for at least five years immediately preceding the individual's appointment;
(10) One individual who holds a current, valid esthetician license and who has been actively practicing esthetics for a period of not less than five years immediately preceding the individual's appointment.
(B) The superintendent of public instruction shall nominate three individuals for the governor to choose from when making an appointment under division (A)(4) of this section.
(C) All members shall be at least twenty-five years of age, residents of the state, and citizens of the United States. No more than two members, at any time, shall be graduates of the same school of cosmetology. Not more than one member shall have a common financial connection with any school of cosmetology or salon.
Terms of office are for five years. Terms shall commence on the first day of November and end on the thirty-first day of October. Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which appointed. In case of a vacancy occurring on the board, the governor shall, in the same manner prescribed for the regular appointment to the board, fill the vacancy by appointing a member. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of such term. Any member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office, or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first. Before entering upon the discharge of the duties of the office of member, each member shall take, and file with the secretary of state, the oath of office required by Section 7 of Article X V, Ohio Constitution.
The members of the board shall receive an amount fixed pursuant to Chapter 124. of the Revised Code per diem for every meeting of the board which they attend, together with their necessary expenses, and mileage for each mile necessarily traveled.
The members of the board shall annually elect, from among their number, a chairperson and a vice-chairperson. The executive director appointed pursuant to section 4713.06 of the Revised Code shall serve as the board's secretary.
(D) The board shall prescribe the duties of its officers and establish an office within Franklin county. The board shall keep all records and files at the office and have the records and files at all reasonable hours open to public inspection in accordance with section 149.43 of the Revised Code and any rules adopted by the board in compliance with this state's record retention policy. The board also shall adopt a seal.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 216, §1, eff. 4/6/2017.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 213, §1, eff. 9/13/2016.
Effective Date: 04-07-2003; 04-07-2005; 09-29-2005
Related Legislative Provision: See 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 213, §5.