(A) There is hereby created the state board of cosmetology, consisting of all of the following members appointed by the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate:
(1) One person holding a current, valid cosmetologist, managing cosmetologist, or cosmetology instructor license at the time of appointment;
(2) Two persons holding current, valid managing cosmetologist licenses and actively engaged in managing beauty salons at the time of appointment;
(3) One person who holds a current, valid independent contractor license at the time of appointment or the owner or manager of a licensed salon in which at least one person holding a current, valid independent contractor license practices a branch of cosmetology;
(4) One person who represents individuals who teach the theory and practice of a branch of cosmetology at a vocational school;
(5) One owner of a licensed school of cosmetology;
(6) One owner of at least five licensed salons;
(7) One person who is either a certified nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist holding a certificate of authority issued under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code, or a physician authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery;
(8) One person representing the general public.
(B) The superintendent of public instruction shall nominate three persons for the governor to choose from when making an appointment under division (A)(4) of this section.
(C) All members shall be at least twenty-five years of age, residents of the state, and citizens of the United States. No more than two members, at any time, shall be graduates of the same school of cosmetology. Except for the initial members appointed under divisions (A)(3) and (4) of this section, terms of office are for five years. The term of the initial member appointed under division (A)(3) of this section shall be three years. The term of the initial member appointed under division (A)(4) of this section shall be four years. Terms shall commence on the first day of November and end on the thirty-first day of October. Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which appointed. In case of a vacancy occurring on the board, the governor shall, in the same manner prescribed for the regular appointment to the board, fill the vacancy by appointing a member. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of such term. Any member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office, or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first. Before entering upon the discharge of the duties of the office of member, each member shall take, and file with the secretary of state, the oath of office required by Section 7 of Article XV, Ohio Constitution. The members of the board shall receive an amount fixed pursuant to Chapter 124. of the Revised Code per diem for every meeting of the board which they attend, together with their necessary expenses, and mileage for each mile necessarily traveled. The members of the board shall annually elect, from among their number, a chairperson. The board shall prescribe the duties of its officers and establish an office within Franklin County. The board shall keep all records and files at the office and have the records and files at all reasonable hours open to public inspection. The board also shall adopt a seal.
Effective Date: 04-07-2003; 04-07-2005; 09-29-2005