(1) All individuals authorized to practice medicine, surgery, dentistry, and nursing or any of its branches in this state;
(2) Commissioned surgical and medical officers of the United States army, navy, air force, or marine hospital service when engaged in the actual performance of their official duties, and attendants attached to same;
(3) Barbers, insofar as their usual and ordinary vocation and profession is concerned;
(4) Funeral directors, embalmers, and apprentices licensed or registered under Chapter 4717. of the Revised Code;
(5) Persons who are engaged in the retail sale, cleaning, or beautification of wigs and hairpieces but who do not engage in any other act constituting the practice of a branch of cosmetology;
(6) Volunteers of hospitals, and homes as defined in section 3721.01 of the Revised Code, who render service to registered patients and inpatients who reside in such hospitals or homes. Such volunteers shall not use or work with any chemical products such as permanent wave, hair dye, or chemical hair relaxer, which without proper training would pose a health or safety problem to the patient.
(7) Nurse aides and other employees of hospitals and homes as defined in section 3721.01 of the Revised Code, who practice a branch of cosmetology on registered patients only as part of general patient care services and who do not charge patients directly on a fee for service basis;
(8) Cosmetic therapists and massage therapists who hold current, valid certificates to practice cosmetic or massage therapy issued by the state medical board under section 4731.15 of the Revised Code, to the extent their actions are authorized by their certificates to practice;
(9) Inmates who provide services related to a branch of cosmetology to other inmates, except when those services are provided in a licensed school of cosmetology within a state correctional institution for females.
(B) The director of rehabilitation and correction shall oversee the services described in division (A)(9) of this section with respect to sanitation and adopt rules governing those types of services provided by inmates.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 213, §1, eff. 9/13/2016.
Effective Date: 04-07-2003