(A) Within the first sixty seconds of a telephone call, and before requesting any financial information or conveying to the consumer any substantive information about a prize, product, or service, no telephone solicitor or salesperson shall fail to do all of the following:
(1) State the solicitor's or salesperson's true name and the company on whose behalf the solicitation is being made;
(2) State that the purpose of the telephone call is to effect a sale;
(3) Identify the goods or services being sold.
(B) If a sale or an agreement to purchase is completed during a telephone call, no telephone solicitor or salesperson, before requesting payment, shall fail to inform the purchaser of the rights granted under section 4719.07 of the Revised Code and disclose all of the following information in a clear and conspicuous manner:
(1) The street address and telephone number of the telephone solicitor;
(2) The total costs to purchase, receive, or use, and the quantity of, any goods or services that are the subject of the telephone solicitation;
(3) All material restrictions, limitations, or conditions to purchase, receive, or use the goods or services that are the subject of the telephone solicitation;
(4) All material terms and conditions of the telephone solicitor's policy of making refunds, cancellations, exchanges, or repurchases;
(5) In any prize promotion, a description of the prize; its market value; all material conditions to receive or redeem the prize; the odds of being able to receive the prize and, if the odds are not calculable in advance, the factors and methods used in calculating the odds; that no purchase or payment of any kind is required to win a prize or to participate in a prize promotion; and the no-purchase or no-payment method of participating in the prize promotion, with either instructions on how to participate or an address or local or toll-free telephone number to which customers may write or call for information on how to participate.
(C) No telephone solicitor or salesperson shall fail to make an oral disclosure required by this section in a clear and intelligible manner.
Cite as R.C. § 4719.06
History. Effective Date: 12-05-1996