(A) The board of nursing shall:
(1) Administer and enforce the provisions of this chapter, including the taking of disciplinary action for violations of section 4723.28 of the Revised Code, any other provisions of this chapter, or rules adopted under this chapter;
(2) Develop criteria that an applicant must meet to be eligible to sit for the examination for licensure to practice as a registered nurse or as a licensed practical nurse;
(3) Issue and renew nursing licenses, dialysis technician certificates, and community health worker certificates, as provided in this chapter;
(4) Define the minimum standards for educational programs of the schools of registered nursing and schools of practical nursing in this state;
(5) Survey, inspect, and grant full approval to prelicensure nursing education programs in this state that meet the standards established by rules adopted under section 4723.07 of the Revised Code. Prelicensure nursing education programs include, but are not limited to, diploma, associate degree, baccalaureate degree, master's degree, and doctor of nursing programs leading to initial licensure to practice nursing as a registered nurse and practical nurse programs leading to initial licensure to practice nursing as a licensed practical nurse.
(6) Grant conditional approval, by a vote of a quorum of the board, to a new prelicensure nursing education program or a program that is being reestablished after having ceased to operate, if the program meets and maintains the minimum standards of the board established by rules adopted under section 4723.07 of the Revised Code. If the board does not grant conditional approval, it shall hold an adjudication under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to consider conditional approval of the program. If the board grants conditional approval, at the first meeting following completion of the survey process required by division (A)(5) of this section, the board shall determine whether to grant full approval to the program. If the board does not grant full approval or if it appears that the program has failed to meet and maintain standards established by rules adopted under section 4723.07 of the Revised Code, the board shall hold an adjudication under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to consider the program. Based on results of the adjudication, the board may continue or withdraw conditional approval, or grant full approval.
(7) Place on provisional approval, for a period of time specified by the board, a program that has ceased to meet and maintain the minimum standards of the board established by rules adopted under section 4723.07 of the Revised Code. Prior to or at the end of the period, the board shall reconsider whether the program meets the standards and shall grant full approval if it does. If it does not, the board may withdraw approval, pursuant to an adjudication under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(11) Issue and renew certificates of authority to practice nursing as a certified registered nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner;
(12) Approve under section 4723.46 of the Revised Code national certifying organizations for examination and certification of certified registered nurse anesthetists, clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse-midwives, or certified nurse practitioners;
(15) Make an annual edition of the formulary established in rules adopted under section 4723.50 of the Revised Code available to the public either in printed form or by electronic means and, as soon as possible after any revision of the formulary becomes effective, make the revision available to the public in printed form or by electronic means;
(16) Provide guidance and make recommendations to the general assembly, the governor, state agencies, and the federal government with respect to the regulation of the practice of nursing and the enforcement of this chapter;
(17) Make an annual report to the governor, which shall be open for public inspection;
(18) Maintain and have open for public inspection the following records:
(a) A record of all its meetings and proceedings;
(b) A record of all applicants for, and holders of, licenses and certificates issued by the board under this chapter or in accordance with rules adopted under this chapter. The record shall be maintained in a format determined by the board.
(c) A list of education and training programs approved by the board.
(19) Deny approval to a person who submits or causes to be submitted false, misleading, or deceptive statements, information, or documentation to the board in the process of applying for approval of a new education or training program. If the board proposes to deny approval of a new education or training program, it shall do so pursuant to an adjudication conducted under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(B) The board may fulfill the requirement of division (A)(8) of this section by authorizing persons who meet the standards established in rules adopted under section 4723.07 of the Revised Code to approve continuing education programs and courses. Persons so authorized shall approve continuing education programs and courses in accordance with standards established in rules adopted under section 4723.07 of the Revised Code.
Persons seeking authorization to approve continuing education programs and courses shall apply to the board and pay the appropriate fee established under section 4723.08 of the Revised Code. Authorizations to approve continuing education programs and courses shall expire, and may be renewed according to the schedule established in rules adopted under section 4723.07 of the Revised Code.
In addition to approving continuing education programs under division (A)(8) of this section, the board may sponsor continuing education activities that are directly related to the statutes and rules the board enforces.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2015.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 110, §1, eff. 10/15/2015.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.194, HB 303, §1, eff. 3/20/2013.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.14, SB 89, §1, eff. 3/29/2010.
Effective Date: 06-29-2003