(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Health care facility" means:
(c) A county home or a county nursing home as defined in section 5155.31 of the Revised Code that is certified under Title XVIII or XIX of the "Social Security Act," 49 Stat. 620 (1935), 42 U.S.C. 301, as amended;
(d) A freestanding dialysis center;
(e) A freestanding inpatient rehabilitation facility;
(f) An ambulatory surgical facility;
(g) A freestanding cardiac catheterization facility;
(h) A freestanding birthing center;
(i) A freestanding or mobile diagnostic imaging center;
(j) A freestanding radiation therapy center.
(2) "Nurse education program" means a prelicensure nurse education program approved by the board of nursing under section 4723.06 of the Revised Code or a postlicensure nurse education program approved by the board of regents under section 3333.04 of the Revised Code.
(B) The state board of nursing shall establish and administer the nurse education grant program. Under the program, the board shall award grants to nurse education programs that have partnerships with other education programs, community health agencies, health care facilities, or patient centered medical homes. Grant recipients shall use the money to fund partnerships to increase the nurse education program's enrollment capacity. Methods of increasing a program's enrollment capacity may include hiring faculty and preceptors, purchasing educational equipment and materials, and other actions acceptable to the board. Grant money shall not be used to construct or renovate buildings. Partnerships may be developed between one or more nurse education programs and one or more health care facilities.
In awarding grants, the board shall give preference to partnerships between nurse education programs and hospitals, nursing homes, and county homes or county nursing homes, but may also award grants to fund partnerships between nurse education programs and other health care facilities and between nurse education programs and patient centered medical homes.
(C) The board shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code establishing the following:
(1) Eligibility requirements for receipt of a grant;
(2) Grant application forms and procedures;
(3) The amounts in which grants may be made and the total amount that may be awarded to a nurse education program that has a partnership with other education programs, a community health agency, a health care facility, or a patient centered medical home;
(4) A method whereby the board may evaluate the effectiveness of a partnership between joint recipients in increasing the nurse education program's enrollment capacity;
(5) The percentage of the money in the fund that must remain in the fund at all times to maintain a fiscally responsible fund balance;
(6) The percentage of available grants to be awarded to licensed practical nurse education programs, registered nurse education programs, and graduate programs;
(7) Any other matters incidental to the operation of the program.
(D) Until December 31, 2023, ten dollars of each nursing license renewal fee collected under section 4723.08 of the Revised Code shall be dedicated to the nurse education grant program fund, which is hereby created in the state treasury. The board shall use money in the fund for grants awarded under division (A) of this section and for expenses of administering the grant program. The amount used for administrative expenses in any year shall not exceed ten per cent of the amount transferred to the fund in that year.
(E) Each quarter, for the purposes of transferring funds to the nurse education grant program, the board of nursing shall certify to the director of budget and management the number of licenses renewed under this chapter during the preceding quarter and the amount equal to that number times ten dollars.
(F) Notwithstanding the requirements of section 4743.05 of the Revised Code, from January 1, 2004, until December 31, 2023, at the end of each quarter, the director of budget and management shall transfer from the occupational licensing and regulatory fund to the nurse education grant program fund the amount certified under division (E) of this section.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 188, §1, eff. 3/23/2016.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.194, HB 303, §3, eff. 3/20/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.194, HB 303, §1, eff. 3/20/2013 (repeals section effective 12/31/2023).
Effective Date: 09-26-2003
Related Legislative Provision: See 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 188, §3.
Note: This section is set out twice. See also § 4723.063 , effective until 3/23/2016.