(A) A licensed practical nurse may perform on any person any of the intravenous therapy procedures specified in division (B) of this section without receiving authorization to perform intravenous therapy from the board of nursing under section 4723.18 of the Revised Code, if both of the following apply:
(1) The licensed practical nurse acts at the direction of a registered nurse or a licensed physician, dentist, optometrist, or podiatrist and the registered nurse, physician, dentist, optometrist, or podiatrist is on the premises where the procedure is to be performed or accessible by some form of telecommunication.
(2) The licensed practical nurse can demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the procedure safely.
(B) The intravenous therapy procedures that a licensed practical nurse may perform pursuant to division (A) of this section are limited to the following:
(1) Verification of the type of peripheral intravenous solution being administered;
(2) Examination of a peripheral infusion site and the extremity for possible infiltration;
(3) Regulation of a peripheral intravenous infusion according to the prescribed flow rate;
(4) Discontinuation of a peripheral intravenous device at the appropriate time;
(5) Performance of routine dressing changes at the insertion site of a peripheral venous or arterial infusion, peripherally inserted central catheter infusion, or central venous pressure subclavian infusion.
Cite as R.C. § 4723.181
History. Renumbered from § 4723.171 and amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.194, HB 303, §1, eff. 3/20/2013.
Effective Date: 04-10-2001