(A) A certificate to prescribe issued under section 4723.48 of the Revised Code that is not issued as an externship certificate is valid for two years, unless otherwise provided in rules adopted under section 4723.50 of the Revised Code or earlier suspended or revoked by the board. The board of nursing shall renew certificates to prescribe according to procedures and a renewal schedule established in rules adopted under section 4723.50 of the Revised Code.
(B) Except as provided in division (C) of this section, the board may renew a certificate to prescribe if the holder submits to the board all of the following:
(1) Evidence of having completed during the previous two years at least twelve hours of continuing education in advanced pharmacology, or, if the certificate has been held for less than a full renewal period, the number of hours required by the board in rules adopted under section 4723.50 of the Revised Code;
(2) The fee required under section 4723.08 of the Revised Code for renewal of a certificate to prescribe;
(3) Any additional information the board requires pursuant to rules adopted under section 4723.50 of the Revised Code.
(1) Except as provided in division (C)(2) of this section, in the case of a certificate holder seeking renewal who prescribes opioid analgesics or benzodiazepines, the holder shall certify to the board whether the holder has been granted access to the drug database established and maintained by the state board of pharmacy pursuant to section 4729.75 of the Revised Code.
(2) The requirement in division (C)(1) of this section does not apply if either of the following is the case:
(a) The state board of pharmacy notifies the board of nursing pursuant to section 4729.861 of the Revised Code that the certificate holder has been restricted from obtaining further information from the drug database.
(b) The state board of pharmacy no longer maintains the drug database.
(3) If a certificate holder certifies to the board of nursing that the holder has been granted access to the drug database and the board finds through an audit or other means that the holder has not been granted access, the board may take action under section 4723.28 of the Revised Code.
(D) The continuing education in pharmacology required under division (B)(1) of this section must be received from an accredited institution recognized by the board. The hours of continuing education required are in addition to any other continuing education requirement that must be completed pursuant to this chapter.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 341, §1, eff. 1/1/2015.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 483, §101.01, eff. 1/1/2015.
Renumbered and amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.14, SB 89, §1, eff. 3/29/2010.
Note: This section is set out twice. See also § 4723.486 , effective until 1/1/2015.