(A) As used in this section :
(B) Except as provided in divisions (C) and (E) of this section, an advanced practice registered nurse holding a certificate to prescribe issued under this chapter shall comply with all of the following as conditions of prescribing a drug that is either an opioid analgesic or a benzodiazepine as part of a patient's course of treatment for a particular condition:
(1) Before initially prescribing the drug, the nurse or the nurse's delegate shall request from the drug database a report of information related to the patient that covers at least the twelve months immediately preceding the date of the request. If the nurse practices primarily in a county of this state that adjoins another state, the nurse or delegate also shall request a report of any information available in the drug database that pertains to prescriptions issued or drugs furnished to the patient in the state adjoining that county.
(2) If the patient's course of treatment for the condition continues for more than ninety days after the initial report is requested, the nurse or delegate shall make periodic requests for reports of information from the drug database until the course of treatment has ended. The requests shall be made at intervals not exceeding ninety days, determined according to the date the initial request was made. The request shall be made in the same manner provided in division (B)(1) of this section for requesting the initial report of information from the drug database.
(3) On receipt of a report under division (B)(1) or (2) of this section, the nurse shall assess the information in the report. The nurse shall document in the patient's record that the report was received and the information was assessed.
(C) Division (B) of this section does not apply if in any of the following circumstances:
(1) A drug database report regarding the patient is not available, in which case the nurse shall document in the patient's record the reason that the report is not available.
(2) The drug is prescribed in an amount indicated for a period not to exceed seven days.
(3) The drug is prescribed for the treatment of cancer or another condition associated with cancer.
(5) The drug is prescribed for administration in a hospital, nursing home, or residential care facility.
(D) The board of nursing may adopt rules, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, that establish standards and procedures to be followed by an advanced practice registered nurse with a certificate to prescribe issued under section 4723.48 of the Revised Code regarding the review of patient information available through the drug database under division (A)(5) of section 4729.80 of the Revised Code. The rules shall be adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(E) This section and any rules adopted under it do not apply if the state board of pharmacy no longer maintains the drug database.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 276, §3, eff. 4/1/2015.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 394, §3, eff. 4/1/2015.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 341, §1, eff. 4/1/2015.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 483, §101.01, eff. 4/1/2015.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.194, HB 303, §1, eff. 3/20/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.156, SB 301, §1, eff. 3/13/2013.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.19, HB 93, §1, eff. 5/20/2011.
Note: This section is set out twice. See also § 4723.487 , effective until 4/1/2015.