(A) In accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, the board of nursing shall adopt rules as necessary to implement the provisions of this chapter pertaining to the authority of clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse-midwives, and certified nurse practitioners to prescribe drugs and therapeutic devices and the issuance and renewal of certificates to prescribe.
The board shall adopt rules that are consistent with the recommendations the board receives from the committee on prescriptive governance pursuant to section 4723.492 of the Revised Code. After reviewing a recommendation submitted by the committee, the board may either adopt the recommendation as a rule or ask the committee to reconsider and resubmit the recommendation. The board shall not adopt any rule that does not conform to a recommendation made by the committee.
(B) The board shall adopt rules under this section that do all of the following:
(1) Establish a formulary listing the types of drugs and therapeutic devices that may be prescribed by a clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner. The formulary may include controlled substances, as defined in section 3719.01 of the Revised Code. The formulary shall not permit the prescribing of any drug or device to perform or induce an abortion.
(2) Establish safety standards to be followed by a clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner when personally furnishing to patients complete or partial supplies of antibiotics, antifungals, scabicides, contraceptives, prenatal vitamins, antihypertensives, drugs and devices used in the treatment of diabetes, drugs and devices used in the treatment of asthma, and drugs used in the treatment of dyslipidemia;
(3) Establish criteria for the components of the standard care arrangements described in section 4723.431 of the Revised Code that apply to the authority to prescribe, including the components that apply to the authority to prescribe schedule II controlled substances. The rules shall be consistent with that section and include all of the following:
(a) Quality assurance standards;
(b) Standards for periodic review by a collaborating physician or podiatrist of the records of patients treated by the clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner;
(c) Acceptable travel time between the location at which the clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner is engaging in the prescribing components of the nurse's practice and the location of the nurse's collaborating physician or podiatrist;
(d) Any other criteria recommended by the committee on prescriptive governance.
(4) Establish standards and procedures for issuance and renewal of a certificate to prescribe, including specification of any additional information the board may require under division (A)(4), (C) (5), or (D) (5) of section 4723.482 or division (B)(3) of section 4723.485 of the Revised Code;
(6) Establish requirements for board approval of the two-hour course of instruction in the laws of this state as required under division (C) (4) of section 4723.482 of the Revised Code and division (B)(2) of section 4723.484 of the Revised Code;
(a) Standards and procedures to be used in evaluating an individual's participation in an externship;
(b) Standards and procedures for the supervision that a physician must provide during an externship, including supervision provided by working with the participant and supervision provided by making timely reviews of the records of patients treated by the participant. The manner in which supervision must be provided may vary according to the location where the participant is practicing and with the participant's level of experience.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.194, HB 303, §1, eff. 3/20/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.85, SB 83, §1, eff. 6/8/2012.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.14, SB 89, §1, eff. 3/29/2010.
Effective Date: 05-17-2000; 05-17-2006
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.85, SB 83, §4
See 129th General AssemblyFile No.85, SB 83, §3