(A) Except for the prescription medications specified in division (C) of this section and the methods of medication administration specified in division (D) of this section, a medication aide who holds a current, valid medication aide certificate issued under this chapter may administer prescription medications to the residents of nursing homes and residential care facilities that use medication aides pursuant to section 4723.64 of the Revised Code. A medication aide shall administer prescription medications only pursuant to the delegation of a registered nurse or a licensed practical nurse acting at the direction of a registered nurse.
Delegation of medication administration to a medication aide shall be carried out in accordance with the rules for nursing delegation adopted under this chapter by the board of nursing. A nurse who has delegated to a medication aide responsibility for the administration of prescription medications to the residents of a nursing home or residential care facility shall not withdraw the delegation on an arbitrary basis or for any purpose other than patient safety.
(B) In exercising the authority to administer prescription medications pursuant to nursing delegation, a medication aide may administer prescription medications in any of the following categories:
(1) Oral medications;
(2) Topical medications;
(3) Medications administered as drops to the eye, ear, or nose;
(4) Rectal and vaginal medications;
(5) Medications prescribed with a designation authorizing or requiring administration on an as-needed basis, but only if a nursing assessment of the patient is completed before the medication is administered.
(C) A medication aide shall not administer prescription medications in either of the following categories:
(1) Medications containing a schedule II controlled substance, as defined in section 3719.01 of the Revised Code;
(2) Medications requiring dosage calculations.
(D) A medication aide shall not administer prescription medications by any of the following methods:
(2) Intravenous therapy procedures;
(3) Splitting pills for purposes of changing the dose being given.
(E) A nursing home or residential care facility that uses medication aides shall ensure that medication aides do not have access to any schedule II controlled substances within the home or facility for use by its residents.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.194,HB 303, §1, eff. 3/20/2013.
Effective Date: 06-30-2005