(A) As used in this section, "supplier" means any person who prepares or sells optical accessories or other vision correcting items, devices, or procedures.
(B) A licensed optometrist, on completion of a vision examination and diagnosis, shall give each patient for whom the optometrist prescribes any vision correcting item, device, or procedure, one copy of the prescription, without additional charge to the patient. The prescription shall include the following:
(1) The date of its issuance;
(2) Sufficient information to enable the patient to obtain from the supplier of the patient's choice, the optical accessory or other vision correcting item, device, or procedure that has been prescribed;
(3) In the case of contact lenses, all information specified as part of a contact lens prescription, as defined in the "Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act," 117 Stat. 2024 (2003), 15 U.S.C. 7610 .
(C) Any supplier who fills a prescription for contact lenses furnished by an optometrist shall furnish the patient with written recommendations to return to the prescribing optometrist for evaluation of the contact lens fitting.
(D) Any supplier, including an optometrist who is a supplier, may advertise to inform the general public of the price that the supplier charges for any vision correcting item, device, or procedure. Any such advertisement shall specify the following:
(1) Whether the advertised item includes an eye examination;
(2) In the case of lenses, whether the price applies to single-vision or multifocal lenses;
(3) In the case of contact lenses, whether the price applies to rigid or soft lenses and whether there is an additional charge related to the fitting and determination of the type of contact lenses to be worn that is not included in the price of the eye examination.
(E) The state board of optometry shall not adopt any rule that restricts the right to advertise as permitted by division (D) of this section.
(F) Any municipal corporation code, ordinance, or regulation or any township resolution that conflicts with a supplier's right to advertise as permitted by division (D) of this section is superseded by division (D) of this section and is invalid. A municipal corporation code, ordinance, or regulation or a township resolution conflicts with division (D) of this section if it restricts a supplier's right to advertise as permitted by division (D) of this section.
Effective Date: 03-09-1999; 2007 HB149 03-24-2008