As used in this chapter:
(A) "Pharmacy," except when used in a context that refers to the practice of pharmacy, means any area, room, rooms, place of business, department, or portion of any of the foregoing where the practice of pharmacy is conducted.
(B) "Practice of pharmacy" means providing pharmacist care requiring specialized knowledge, judgment, and skill derived from the principles of biological, chemical, behavioral, social, pharmaceutical, and clinical sciences. As used in this division, "pharmacist care" includes the following:
(1) Interpreting prescriptions;
(2) Dispensing drugs and drug therapy related devices;
(3) Compounding drugs;
(4) Counseling individuals with regard to their drug therapy, recommending drug therapy related devices, and assisting in the selection of drugs and appliances for treatment of common diseases and injuries and providing instruction in the proper use of the drugs and appliances;
(5) Performing drug regimen reviews with individuals by discussing all of the drugs that the individual is taking and explaining the interactions of the drugs;
(6) Performing drug utilization reviews with licensed health professionals authorized to prescribe drugs when the pharmacist determines that an individual with a prescription has a drug regimen that warrants additional discussion with the prescriber;
(7) Advising an individual and the health care professionals treating an individual with regard to the individual's drug therapy;
(8) Acting pursuant to a consult agreement with one or more physicians authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery, if an agreement has been established;
(10) Engaging in the administration of drugs to the extent authorized by section 4729.45 of the Revised Code.
(C) "Compounding" means the preparation, mixing, assembling, packaging, and labeling of one or more drugs in any of the following circumstances:
(1) Pursuant to a prescription issued by a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs;
(2) Pursuant to the modification of a prescription made in accordance with a consult agreement;
(3) As an incident to research, teaching activities, or chemical analysis;
(4) In anticipation of orders for drugs pursuant to prescriptions, based on routine, regularly observed dispensing patterns;
(5) Pursuant to a request made by a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs for a drug that is to be used by the professional for the purpose of direct administration to patients in the course of the professional's practice, if all of the following apply:
(a) At the time the request is made, the drug is not commercially available regardless of the reason that the drug is not available, including the absence of a manufacturer for the drug or the lack of a readily available supply of the drug from a manufacturer.
(b) A limited quantity of the drug is compounded and provided to the professional.
(c) The drug is compounded and provided to the professional as an occasional exception to the normal practice of dispensing drugs pursuant to patient-specific prescriptions.
(E) "Drug" means:
(1) Any article recognized in the United States pharmacopoeia and national formulary, or any supplement to them, intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in humans or animals;
(2) Any other article intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in humans or animals;
(3) Any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or animals;
(4) Any article intended for use as a component of any article specified in division (E)(1), (2), or (3) of this section; but does not include devices or their components, parts, or accessories.
(F) "Dangerous drug" means any of the following:
(1) Any drug to which either of the following applies:
(a) Under the "Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act," 52 Stat. 1040 (1938), 21 U.S.C.A. 301, as amended, the drug is required to bear a label containing the legend "Caution: Federal law prohibits dispensing without prescription" or "Caution: Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian" or any similar restrictive statement, or the drug may be dispensed only upon a prescription;
(b) Under Chapter 3715. or 3719. of the Revised Code, the drug may be dispensed only upon a prescription.
(2) Any drug that contains a schedule V controlled substance and that is exempt from Chapter 3719. of the Revised Code or to which that chapter does not apply;
(3) Any drug intended for administration by injection into the human body other than through a natural orifice of the human body;
(H) "Prescription" means all of the following:
(1) A written, electronic, or oral order for drugs or combinations or mixtures of drugs to be used by a particular individual or for treating a particular animal, issued by a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs;
(2) For purposes of sections 2925.61, 4723.488, 4729.44, 4730.431, and 4731.94 of the Revised Code, a written, electronic, or oral order for naloxone issued to and in the name of a family member, friend, or other individual in a position to assist an individual who there is reason to believe is at risk of experiencing an opioid-related overdose.
(3) For purposes of sections 4723.4810, 4729.282, 4730.432, and 4731.93 of the Revised Code, a written, electronic, or oral order for a drug to treat chlamydia, gonorrhea, or trichomoniasis issued to and in the name of a patient who is not the intended user of the drug but is the sexual partner of the intended user;
(4) For purposes of sections 3313.7110, 3313.7111, 3314.143, 3326.28, 3328.29, 4723.483, 4729.88, 4730.433, 4731.96, and 5101.76 of the Revised Code, a written, electronic, or oral order for an epinephrine autoinjector issued to and in the name of a school, school district, or camp;
(5) For purposes of Chapter 3728. and sections 4723.483, 4729.88, 4730.433, and 4731.96 of the Revised Code, a written, electronic, or oral order for an epinephrine autoinjector issued to and in the name of a qualified entity, as defined in section 3728.01 of the Revised Code.
(I) "Licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs" or "prescriber" means an individual who is authorized by law to prescribe drugs or dangerous drugs or drug therapy related devices in the course of the individual's professional practice, including only the following:
(1) A dentist licensed under Chapter 4715. of the Revised Code;
(2) A clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner who holds a current, valid license to practice nursing as an advanced practice registered nurse issued under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code;
(3) An optometrist licensed under Chapter 4725. of the Revised Code to practice optometry under a therapeutic pharmaceutical agents certificate;
(4) A physician authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery;
(5) A physician assistant who holds a license to practice as a physician assistant issued under Chapter 4730. of the Revised Code, holds a valid prescriber number issued by the state medical board, and has been granted physician-delegated prescriptive authority;
(6) A veterinarian licensed under Chapter 4741. of the Revised Code.
(J) "Sale" and "sell" include delivery, transfer, barter, exchange, or gift, or offer therefor, and each such transaction made by any person, whether as principal proprietor, agent, or employee.
(K) "Wholesale sale" and "sale at wholesale" mean any sale in which the purpose of the purchaser is to resell the article purchased or received by the purchaser.
(L) "Retail sale" and "sale at retail" mean any sale other than a wholesale sale or sale at wholesale.
(M) "Retail seller" means any person that sells any dangerous drug to consumers without assuming control over and responsibility for its administration. Mere advice or instructions regarding administration do not constitute control or establish responsibility.
(N) "Price information" means the price charged for a prescription for a particular drug product and, in an easily understandable manner, all of the following:
(1) The proprietary name of the drug product;
(2) The established (generic) name of the drug product;
(3) The strength of the drug product if the product contains a single active ingredient or if the drug product contains more than one active ingredient and a relevant strength can be associated with the product without indicating each active ingredient. The established name and quantity of each active ingredient are required if such a relevant strength cannot be so associated with a drug product containing more than one ingredient.
(4) The dosage form;
(5) The price charged for a specific quantity of the drug product. The stated price shall include all charges to the consumer, including, but not limited to, the cost of the drug product, professional fees, handling fees, if any, and a statement identifying professional services routinely furnished by the pharmacy. Any mailing fees and delivery fees may be stated separately without repetition. The information shall not be false or misleading.
(O) "Wholesale distributor of dangerous drugs" means a person engaged in the sale of dangerous drugs at wholesale and includes any agent or employee of such a person authorized by the person to engage in the sale of dangerous drugs at wholesale.
(P) "Manufacturer of dangerous drugs" means a person, other than a pharmacist, who manufactures dangerous drugs and who is engaged in the sale of those dangerous drugs within this state.
(Q) "Terminal distributor of dangerous drugs" means a person who is engaged in the sale of dangerous drugs at retail, or any person, other than a wholesale distributor or a pharmacist, who has possession, custody, or control of dangerous drugs for any purpose other than for that person's own use and consumption, and includes pharmacies, hospitals, nursing homes, and laboratories and all other persons who procure dangerous drugs for sale or other distribution by or under the supervision of a pharmacist or licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs.
(R) "Promote to the public" means disseminating a representation to the public in any manner or by any means, other than by labeling, for the purpose of inducing, or that is likely to induce, directly or indirectly, the purchase of a dangerous drug at retail.
(S) "Person" includes any individual, partnership, association, limited liability company, or corporation, the state, any political subdivision of the state, and any district, department, or agency of the state or its political subdivisions.
" Animal shelter" means a facility operated by a humane society or any society organized under Chapter 1717. of the Revised Code or a dog pound operated pursuant to Chapter 955. of the Revised Code.
(Y) "Investigational drug or product" means a drug or product that has successfully completed phase one of the United States food and drug administration clinical trials and remains under clinical trial, but has not been approved for general use by the United States food and drug administration. "Investigational drug or product" does not include controlled substances in schedule I, as established pursuant to section 3719.41 of the Revised Code, and as amended.
(Z) "Product," when used in reference to an investigational drug or product, means a biological product, other than a drug, that is made from a natural human, animal, or microorganism source and is intended to treat a disease or medical condition.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 216, §1, eff. 4/6/2017.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 332, §1, eff. 4/6/2017.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 290, §1, eff. 4/6/2017.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 505, §1, eff. 3/20/2017.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 200, §1, eff. 9/8/2016.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 188, §1, eff. 3/23/2016.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 124, §1, eff. 3/23/2016.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 110, §1, eff. 10/15/2015.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 4, §1, eff. 7/16/2015.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.19, HB 93, §1, eff. 5/20/2011.
Effective Date: 06-26-2003; 04-07-2005; 08-19-2005; 05-17-2006; 2007 SB58 08-30-2007 .