(A) If the state board of pharmacy establishes and maintains a drug database pursuant to section 4729.75 of the Revised Code, each licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs, except as provided in division (C) of this section, who personally furnishes to a patient a controlled substance or other dangerous drug the board includes in the database pursuant to rules adopted under section 4729.84 of the Revised Code shall submit to the board the following information:
(1) Prescriber identification;
(2) Patient identification;
(3) Date drug was furnished by the prescriber;
(4) Indication of whether the drug furnished is new or a refill;
(5) Name, strength, and national drug code of drug furnished;
(6) Quantity of drug furnished;
(7) Number of days' supply of drug furnished;
(8) Source of payment for the drug furnished;
(9) Identification of the owner of the drug furnished.
(2) The information shall be submitted electronically in the format specified by the board, except that the board may grant a waiver allowing the prescriber to submit the information in another format.
(3) The information shall be submitted in accordance with any time limits specified by the board, except that the board may grant an extension if either of the following occurs:
(a) The prescriber's transmission system suffers a mechanical or electronic failure, or the prescriber cannot meet the deadline for other reasons beyond the prescriber's control.
(b) The board is unable to receive electronic submissions.
(1) The information required to be submitted under division (A) of this section may be submitted on behalf of the prescriber by the owner of the drug being personally furnished or by a delegate approved by that owner.
(2) The requirements of this section to submit information to the board do not apply to a prescriber who is a veterinarian.
(D) If the board becomes aware of a prescriber's failure to comply with this section, the board shall notify the government entity responsible for licensing the prescriber.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.156, SB 301, §1, eff. 3/13/2013.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.19, HB 93, §1, eff. 5/20/2011.