(A) The state medical board shall do both of the following:
(1) Adopt a formulary listing the drugs and therapeutic devices by class and specific generic nomenclature that a physician may include in the physician-delegated prescriptive authority granted to a physician assistant who holds a certificate to prescribe under this chapter;
(2) Adopt rules governing physician-delegated prescriptive authority for physician assistants, including the issuance of certificates to prescribe under this chapter.
(B) The board's rules governing physician-delegated prescriptive authority adopted pursuant to division (A)(2) of this section shall be adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code and shall establish all of the following:
Requirements regarding the pharmacology courses that a physician assistant is required to complete to receive a certificate to prescribe;
(2) Standards and procedures for the issuance and renewal of certificates to prescribe to physician assistants;
(3) Standards and procedures for the appropriate conduct of the provisional period that a physician assistant is required to complete pursuant to section 4730.45 of the Revised Code and for determining whether a physician assistant has successfully completed the provisional period;
(4) A specific prohibition against prescribing any drug or device to perform or induce an abortion;
(5) Standards and procedures to be followed by a physician assistant in personally furnishing samples of drugs or complete or partial supplies of drugs to patients under section 4730.43 of the Revised Code;
(6) Any other requirements the board considers necessary to implement the provisions of this chapter regarding physician-delegated prescriptive authority and the issuance of certificates to prescribe.
(1) After considering recommendations submitted by the physician assistant policy committee pursuant to sections 4730.06 and 4730.38 of the Revised Code, the board shall review either or both of the following, as appropriate according to the submitted recommendations:
(a) The formulary the board adopts under division (A)(1) of this section;
(b) The rules the board adopts under division (A)(2) of this section regarding physician-delegated prescriptive authority.
(2) Based on its review, the board shall make any necessary modifications to the formulary or rules.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.161,HB 284, §1, eff. 3/22/2013.
Effective Date: 05-17-2006