(1) Except as provided in division (D) of this section, each person holding a certificate to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery issued by the state medical board shall complete biennially not less than one hundred hours of continuing medical education that has been approved by the board.
(2) Each person holding a certificate to practice shall be given sufficient choice of continuing education programs to ensure that the person has had a reasonable opportunity to participate in continuing education programs that are relevant to the person's medical practice in terms of subject matter and level.
(B) In determining whether a course, program, or activity qualifies for credit as continuing medical education, the board shall approve all of the following:
(1) Continuing medical education completed by holders of certificates to practice medicine and surgery that is certified by the Ohio state medical association;
(2) Continuing medical education completed by holders of certificates to practice osteopathic medicine and surgery that is certified by the Ohio osteopathic association;
(3) Continuing medical education completed by holders of certificates to practice podiatric medicine and surgery that is certified by the Ohio podiatric medical association.
(C) The board shall approve one or more continuing medical education courses of study included within the programs certified by the Ohio state medical association and the Ohio osteopathic association under divisions (B)(1) and (2) of this section that assist doctors of medicine and doctors of osteopathic medicine in both of the following:
(1) Recognizing the signs of domestic violence and its relationship to child abuse ;
(D) The board shall adopt rules providing for pro rata reductions by month of the number of hours of continuing education that must be completed for certificate holders who are in their first renewal period, have been disabled by illness or accident, or have been absent from the country. The board shall adopt the rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(E) The board may require a random sample of holders of certificates to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery to submit materials documenting completion of the required number of hours of continuing medical education. This division does not limit the board's authority to conduct investigations pursuant to section 4731.22 of the Revised Code.
(F) The board may impose a civil penalty of not more than five thousand dollars if, through a random sample conducted under division (E) of this section or any other means, it finds that an individual falsely certified that the individual completed the number of hours and type of continuing medical education required for renewal of a certificate to practice. If the civil penalty is imposed in addition to any other action the board takes under section 4731.22 of the Revised Code, the board's finding shall be made pursuant to an adjudication under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code and by an affirmative vote of not fewer than six of its members.
A civil penalty imposed under this division may be in addition to or in lieu of any other action the board takes under section 4731.22 of the Revised Code. The board shall deposit civil penalties in accordance with section 4731.24 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2015.
Effective Date: 12-09-1994