(A) In accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, the physical therapy section of the Ohio occupational therapy, physical therapy, and athletic trainers board shall adopt rules specifying standards, in addition to the standards specified by division (B) of this section, for approval of continuing education courses, programs, and activities for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants.
(B) To be eligible for approval by the physical therapy section, a continuing education course, program, or activity shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1) Include significant intellectual or practical content, the primary objective of which is to improve the professional competence of the participant;
(2) Be an organized program of learning dealing with matters directly related to the practice of physical therapy, professional responsibility, ethical obligations, or similar subjects that the section determines maintain and improve the quality of physical therapy services in this state;
(3) Consist of in-person instruction or other methods of instruction, including the use of self-study materials prepared and conducted by an individual or a group qualified by practical or academic experience as determined by the section;
(4) Be presented in a setting physically suited to the educational activity of the course, program, or activity;
(5) Include thorough, high-quality written material;
(6) Meet any other standards established by rule of the section adopted under division (A) of this section.
(C) The physical therapy section shall review physical therapy continuing education programs, courses, and activities and grant approval to those that meet the standards established under divisions (A) and (B) of this section. If the section denies approval of a course, program, or activity, it shall give a written explanation of the reason for denial to the person requesting approval. The physical therapy section may approve continuing education courses, programs, and activities that have been approved by an agency in another state that governs the licensure of physical therapists and physical therapist assistants if the section determines that the standards for continuing education courses established by the agency are comparable to those established pursuant to this section. The physical therapy section may contract with the Ohio chapter of the American physical therapy association for assistance in performance of the section's duties under this section.
Effective Date: 04-16-1993; 04-06-2007