The Ohio respiratory care board shall regulate the practice of respiratory care in this state and the persons to whom the board issues licenses and limited permits under this chapter and shall license and register home medical equipment services providers under Chapter 4752. of the Revised Code . Rules adopted under this chapter that deal with the provision of respiratory care in a hospital, other than rules regulating the issuance of licenses or limited permits, shall be consistent with the conditions for participation under medicare, Title XVIII of the "Social Security Act," 79 Stat. 286 (1965), 42 U.S.C.A. 1395 , as amended, and with the respiratory care accreditation standards of the joint commission on accreditation of healthcare organizations or the American osteopathic association. The board shall:
(A) Adopt, and may rescind or amend, rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to carry out the purposes of this chapter, including rules prescribing:
(2) The form, scoring, and scheduling of examinations and reexaminations for licensure and license renewal;
(3) Standards for the approval of educational programs required to qualify for licensure and continuing education programs required for license renewal;
(5) Procedures for the issuance and renewal of licenses and limited permits, including the duties that may be fulfilled by the board's executive director and other board employees;
(6) Procedures for the denial, suspension, permanent revocation, refusal to renew, and reinstatement of licenses and limited permits, the conduct of hearings, and the imposition of fines for engaging in conduct that is grounds for such action and hearings under section 4761.09 of the Revised Code;
(7) Standards of ethical conduct for the practice of respiratory care;
(8) Conditions under which the license renewal fee and continuing education requirements may be waived at the request of a licensee who is not in active practice;
(B) Determine the sufficiency of an applicant's qualifications for admission to the licensing examination or a reexamination, and for the issuance or renewal of a license or limited permit;
(D) Schedule, administer, and score the licensing examination or any reexamination for license renewal or reinstatement. The board shall administer the licensing examinations at least twice a year and notify applicants of the time and place of the examinations.
(E) Investigate complaints concerning alleged violations of section 4761.10 of the Revised Code or grounds for the suspension, permanent revocation, or refusal to issue licenses or limited permits under section 3123.47 or 4761.09 of the Revised Code. The board shall employ investigators who shall, under the direction of the executive director of the board, investigate complaints and make inspections and other inquiries as, in the judgment of the board, are appropriate to enforce sections 3123.41 to 3123.50 , 4761.09 , and 4761.10 of the Revised Code. Pursuant to an investigation and inspection, the investigators may review and audit records during normal business hours at the place of business of a licensee or person who is the subject of a complaint filed with the board or at any place where the records are kept. Except when required by court order, the board and its employees shall not disclose confidential information obtained during an investigation or identifying information about any person who files a complaint with the board. The board may hear testimony in matters relating to the duties imposed upon it and issue subpoenas pursuant to an investigation. The president and secretary of the board may administer oaths.
(F) Conduct hearings, keep records of its proceedings, and do other things as are necessary and proper to carry out and enforce the provisions of this chapter;
(G) Maintain, publish, and make available upon request, for a fee not to exceed the actual cost of printing and mailing:
(1) The requirements for the issuance of licenses and limited permits under this chapter and rules adopted by the board;
(2) A current register of every person licensed to practice respiratory care in this state, to include the addresses of the person's last known place of business and residence, the effective date and identification number of the license, the name and location of the institution that granted the person's degree or certificate of completion of respiratory care educational requirements, and the date the degree or certificate was issued;
(3) A list of the names and locations of the institutions that each year granted degrees or certificates of completion in respiratory care;
(4) After the administration of each examination, a list of persons who passed the examination.
(H) Submit to the governor and to the general assembly each year a report of all of its official actions during the preceding year, together with any findings and recommendations with regard to the improvement of the profession of respiratory care;
(I) Administer and enforce Chapter 4752. of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 03-22-2001; 09-16-2004; 2007 HB104 03-24-2008