(A) Any person, firm, copartnership, voluntary association, joint-stock association, company, or corporation, wherever organized or incorporated, that is engaged in the towing of motor vehicles is subject to regulation by the public utilities commission as a for-hire motor carrier under this chapter.
(B) The commission shall adopt rules under Chapter 111. of the Revised Code that do all of the following:
(1) Establish the acceptable scope of public safety regulations applicable to a for-hire motor carrier engaged in the towing of motor vehicles under section 4513.60, 4513.601, or 4513.61 of the Revised Code that a county or township may adopt pursuant to a resolution;
(2) Establish safety standards for the type of equipment necessary to safely remove and tow vehicles based on the type of vehicle being removed or towed;
(3) Establish standards for the removal of a vehicle from a private tow-away zone by a for-hire motor carrier engaged in the towing of motor vehicles in addition to standards and requirements established under section 4513.601 of the Revised Code. The standards may vary based on whether the private tow-away zone is located on residential, retail, or other commercial property.
(4) Establish an after-hours retrieval fee for purposes of section 4513.69 of the Revised Code;
(5) Adopt any other rules necessary to carry out the purposes of this section.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 274, §1, eff. 3/23/2015.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 6/11/2012.