(A) As used in this chapter, "private motor carrier" does not include a person when engaged in any of the following in intrastate commerce:
(1) The transportation of persons in taxicabs in the usual taxicab service;
(2) The transportation of pupils in school busses operating to or from school sessions or school events;
(3) The transportation of farm supplies to the farm or farm products from farm to market or to food fabricating plants;
(4) The distribution of newspapers;
(5) The transportation of crude petroleum incidental to gathering from wells and delivery to destination by pipe line;
(6) The transportation of injured, ill, or deceased persons by hearse or ambulance;
(7) The transportation of compost (a combination of manure and sand or shredded bark mulch) or shredded bark mulch;
(8) The transportation of persons in a ridesharing arrangement when any fee charged each person so transported is in such amount as to recover only the person's share of the costs of operating the motor vehicle for such purpose;
(9) The operation of motor vehicles for contractors on public road work.
(B) The public utilities commission may grant a motor carrier operating in intrastate commerce a temporary exemption from some or all of the provisions of this chapter and the rules adopted under it, when either of the following applies:
(1) The governor of this state has declared an emergency.
(2) The chairperson of the commission or the chairperson's designee has declared a transportation-specific emergency.
(C) The commission may adopt rules not incompatible with the requirements of the United States department of transportation to provide exemptions to motor carriers operating in intrastate commerce not otherwise identified in divisions (A) and (B) of this section.
(D) Divisions (A) to (C) of this section shall not be construed to relieve a person from compliance with either of the following:
(1) Rules adopted under division (A)(2) of section 4923.04 of the Revised Code, division (E) of section 4923.06 of the Revised Code, division (B) of section 4923.07 of the Revised Code, and section 4923.11 of the Revised Code;
(2) Rules regarding commercial driver's licenses adopted under division (A)(1) of section 4923.04 of the Revised Code.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127,HB 487, §101.01, eff. 6/11/2012.