(A) There is hereby created the advanced energy program, which shall be administered by the director of development. Under the program, the director may authorize the use of moneys in the advanced energy fund for financial, technical, and related assistance for advanced energy projects in this state or for economic development assistance, in furtherance of the purposes set forth in section 4928.63 of the Revised Code.
(1) To the extent feasible given approved applications for assistance, the assistance shall be distributed among the certified territories of electric distribution utilities and participating electric cooperatives, and among the service areas of participating municipal electric utilities, in amounts proportionate to the remittances of each utility and cooperative under divisions (B)(1) and (3) of section 4928.61 of the Revised Code.
(3) The director shall not authorize financial assistance for an advanced energy project under the program unless the director first determines that the project will create new jobs or preserve existing jobs in this state or use innovative technologies or materials.
(1) Award grants, contracts, loans, loan participation agreements, linked deposits, and energy production incentives;
(2) Acquire in the name of the director any property of any kind or character in accordance with this section, by purchase, purchase at foreclosure, or exchange, on such terms and in such manner as the director considers proper;
(3) Make and enter into all contracts and agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of the director's duties and the exercise of the director's powers under sections 4928.61 to 4928.63 of the Revised Code;
(4) Employ or enter into contracts with financial consultants, marketing consultants, consulting engineers, architects, managers, construction experts, attorneys, technical monitors, energy evaluators, or other employees or agents as the director considers necessary, and fix their compensation;
(5) Adopt rules prescribing the application procedures for financial assistance under the advanced energy program; the fees, charges, interest rates, payment schedules, local match requirements, and other terms and conditions of any grants, contracts, loans, loan participation agreements, linked deposits, and energy production incentives; criteria pertaining to the eligibility of participating lending institutions; and any other matters necessary for the implementation of the program;
(6) Do all things necessary and appropriate for the operation of the program.
(C) The department of development may hold ownership to any unclaimed energy efficiency and renewable energy emission allowances provided for in Chapter 3745-14 of the Administrative Code or otherwise, that result from advanced energy projects that receive funding from the advanced energy fund, and it may use the allowances to further the public interest in advanced energy projects or for economic development.
(D) Financial statements, financial data, and trade secrets submitted to or received by the director from an applicant or recipient of financial assistance under sections 4928.61 to 4928.63 of the Revised Code, or any information taken from those statements, data, or trade secrets for any purpose, are not public records for the purpose of section 149.43 of the Revised Code.
(E) Nothing in the amendments of sections 4928.61, 4928.62, and 4928.63 of the Revised Code by Sub. H.B. 251 of the 126th general assembly shall affect any pending or effected assistance, pending or effected purchases or exchanges of property made, or pending or effected contracts or agreements entered into pursuant to division (A) or (B) of this section as the section existed prior to the effective date of those amendments, January 4, 2007, or shall affect the exemption provided under division (C) of this section as the section existed prior to that effective date.
(F) Any assistance a school district receives for an advanced energy project, including a geothermal heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system, shall be in addition to any assistance provided under Chapter 3318. of the Revised Code and shall not be included as part of the district or state portion of the basic project cost under that chapter.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.125, SB 315, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Effective Date: 04-07-2004; 01-04-200.