(A) As used in this section, "benefits" means any of the following:
(1) Cash assistance paid under Chapter 5107. or 5115. of the Revised Code;
(3) Any other program administered by the department of job and family services under which assistance is provided or service rendered;
(4) Any other program, service, or assistance administered by a person or government entity that the department determines may be delivered through the medium of electronic benefit transfer.
(B) The department of job and family services may make any payment or delivery of benefits to eligible individuals through the medium of electronic benefit transfer by doing all of the following:
(1) Contracting with an agent to supply debit cards to the department of job and family services for use by such individuals in accessing their benefits and to credit such cards electronically with the amounts specified by the director of job and family services pursuant to law;
(2) Informing such individuals about the use of the electronic benefit transfer system and furnishing them with debit cards and information that will enable them to access their benefits through the system;
(3) Arranging with specific financial institutions or vendors, county departments of job and family services, or persons or government entities for individuals to have their cards credited electronically with the proper amounts at their facilities;
(4) Periodically preparing vouchers for the payment of such benefits by electronic benefit transfer;
(5) Satisfying any applicable requirements of federal and state law.
(C) The department may enter into a written agreement with any person or government entity to provide benefits administered by that person or entity through the medium of electronic benefit transfer. A written agreement may require the person or government entity to pay to the department either or both of the following:
(1) A charge that reimburses the department for all costs the department incurs in having the benefits administered by the person or entity provided through the electronic benefit transfer system;
(2) A fee for having the benefits provided through the electronic benefit transfer system.
(D) The department may designate which counties will participate in the medium of electronic benefit transfer, specify the date a designated county will begin participation, and specify which benefits will be provided through the medium of electronic benefit transfer in a designated county.
(E) The department may adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code for the efficient administration of this section.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 07-01-2000