As used in sections 5101.571 to 5101.591 of the Revised Code:
(A) "Information" means all of the following:
(1) An individual's name, address, date of birth, and social security number;
(2) The group or plan number, or other identifier, assigned by a third party to a policy held by an individual or a plan in which the individual participates and the nature of the coverage;
(3) Any other data the director of job and family services specifies in rules adopted under section 5101.591 of the Revised Code.
(B) "Medical assistance" means medical items or services provided under any of the following:
(1) Medicaid, as defined in section 5111.01 of the Revised Code;
(C) "Medical support" means support specified as support for the purpose of medical care by order of a court or administrative agency.
(D) "Public assistance" means medical assistance or assistance under the Ohio works first program established under Chapter 5107. of the Revised Code.
(1) Subject to division (E)(2) of this section, and except as provided in division (E)(3) of this section, "third party" means all of the following:
(a) A person authorized to engage in the business of sickness and accident insurance under Title XXXIX of the Revised Code;
(b) A person or governmental entity providing coverage for medical services or items to individuals on a self-insurance basis;
(c) A health insuring corporation as defined in section 1751.01 of the Revised Code;
(d) A group health plan as defined in 29 U.S.C. 1167;
(e) A service benefit plan as referenced in 42 U.S.C. 1396a(a)(25);
(f) A managed care organization;
(g) A pharmacy benefit manager;
(h) A third party administrator;
(i) Any other person or governmental entity that is, by law, contract, or agreement, responsible for the payment or processing of a claim for a medical item or service for a public assistance recipient or participant.
(2) Except when otherwise provided by 42 U.S.C. 1395y(b), a person or governmental entity listed in division (E)(1) of this section is a third party even if the person or governmental entity limits or excludes payments for a medical item or service in the case of a public assistance recipient.
(3) "Third party" does not include the program for medically handicapped children established under section 3701.023 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28,HB 153, §101.01, eff. 10/1/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 06-30-1994; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007; 2008 HB562 09-22-2008