(A) As used in this section:
(2) "Participating teen" means an individual to whom all of the following apply:
(a) The individual is a participant of Ohio works first;
(b) The individual is under age eighteen or is age eighteen and in school and is a natural or adoptive parent or is pregnant;
(c) The individual is subject to the LEAP program's requirements.
(3) "School" means an educational program that is designed to lead to the attainment of a high school diploma or the equivalent of a high school diploma.
(B) The director of job and family services may conduct a program titled the "LEAP program" in accordance with rules adopted under section 5107.05 of the Revised Code. The purpose of the LEAP program is to encourage teens to complete school. The LEAP program shall provide information on adoption as an option for unintended pregnancies to participating teens.
Every participating teen shall attend school in accordance with the requirements governing the LEAP program unless the participating teen shows good cause for not attending school. The department shall provide, in addition to the cash assistance payment provided under Ohio works first, an incentive payment, in an amount determined by the department, to every participating teen who attends school in accordance with the requirements governing the LEAP program. In addition to the incentive payment, the department may provide other incentives to participating teens who attend school in accordance with the LEAP program's requirements. The department shall reduce the cash assistance payment, in an amount determined by the department, under Ohio works first to every participating teen who fails or refuses, without good cause, to meet the LEAP program's requirements.
Every participating teen shall enter into a written agreement with the county department of job and family services that specifies all of the following:
(1) The participating teen, to be eligible to receive the incentive payment and other incentives, if any, under this section, must meet the requirements of the LEAP program.
(2) The incentive payment and other incentives, if any, will be provided if the participating teen meets the requirements of the LEAP program.
(3) The participating teen's cash assistance payment under Ohio works first will be reduced if the participating teen fails or refuses without good cause to attend school in accordance with the requirements governing the LEAP program.
(C) A minor head of household's participation in the LEAP program shall be counted in determining whether a county department of job and family services meets the requirement of section 5107.44 of the Revised Code.
(D) Subject to the availability of funds, county departments of job and family services shall provide for participating teens to receive support services the county department determines to be necessary for LEAP participation. Support services may include publicly funded child care under Chapter 5104. of the Revised Code, transportation, and other services.
Effective Date: 06-26-2003; 05-18-2005; 01-02-2006; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007; 2008 HB7 04-07-2009