(A) Every provider agreement with the provider of a nursing facility or intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded shall:
(1) Prohibit the provider from failing or refusing to retain as a patient any person because the person is, becomes, or may, as a patient in the facility, become a medicaid recipient. For the purposes of this division, a medicaid recipient who is a patient in a facility shall be considered a patient in the facility during any hospital stays totaling less than twenty-five days during any twelve-month period. Recipients who have been identified by the department of job and family services or its designee as requiring the level of care of an intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded shall not be subject to a maximum period of absences during which they are considered patients if prior authorization of the department for visits with relatives and friends and participation in therapeutic programs is obtained under rules adopted under section 5111.02 of the Revised Code.
(2) Except as provided by division (B)(1) of this section, include any part of the facility that meets standards for certification of compliance with federal and state laws and rules for participation in the medicaid program.
(3) Prohibit the provider from discriminating against any patient on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, or national origin.
(4) Except as otherwise prohibited under section 5111.55 of the Revised Code, prohibit the provider from failing or refusing to accept a patient because the patient is, becomes, or may, as a patient in the facility, become a medicaid recipient if less than eighty per cent of the patients in the facility are medicaid recipients.
(1) Except as provided by division (B)(2) of this section, the following are not required to be included in a provider agreement unless otherwise required by federal law:
(a) Beds added during the period beginning July 1, 1987, and ending July 1, 1993, to a nursing home licensed under Chapter 3721. of the Revised Code;
(b) Beds in an intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded that are designated for respite care under a medicaid waiver component operated pursuant to a waiver sought under section 5111.87 of the Revised Code.
(2) If a provider chooses to include a bed specified in division (B)(1)(a) of this section in a provider agreement, the bed may not be removed from the provider agreement unless the provider withdraws the facility in which the bed is located from the medicaid program.
(C) Nothing in this section shall bar a provider that is a religious organization operating a religious or denominational nursing facility or intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded from giving preference to persons of the same religion or denomination. Nothing in this section shall bar any provider from giving preference to persons with whom the provider has contracted to provide continuing care.
(D) Nothing in this section shall bar the provider of a county home organized under Chapter 5155. of the Revised Code from admitting residents exclusively from the county in which the county home is located.
(E) No provider of a nursing facility or intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded for which a provider agreement is in effect shall violate the provider contract obligations imposed under this section.
(F) Nothing in divisions (A) and (C) of this section shall bar a provider from retaining patients who have resided in the provider's facility for not less than one year as private pay patients and who subsequently become medicaid recipients, but refusing to accept as a patient any person who is or may, as a patient in the facility, become a medicaid recipient, if all of the following apply:
(1) The provider does not refuse to retain any patient who has resided in the provider's facility for not less than one year as a private pay patient because the patient becomes a medicaid recipient, except as necessary to comply with division (F)(2) of this section;
(2) The number of medicaid recipients retained under this division does not at any time exceed ten per cent of all the patients in the facility;
(3) On July 1, 1980, all the patients in the facility were private pay patients.
Effective Date: 07-01-2000; 07-01-2005; 06-30-2006; 2008 HB562 06-24-2008