(1) "Hospital" means a nonfederal hospital to which either of the following applies:
(a) The hospital is registered under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code as a general medical and surgical hospital or a pediatric general hospital, and provides inpatient hospital services, as defined in 42 C.F.R. 440.10 ;
(b) The hospital is recognized under the medicare program established by Title XVIII of the "Social Security Act," 49 Stat. 620 (1935), 42 U.S.C.A. 301, as amended, as a cancer hospital and is exempt from the medicare prospective payment system.
"Hospital" does not include a hospital operated by a health insuring corporation that has been issued a certificate of authority under section 1751.05 of the Revised Code or a hospital that does not charge patients for services.
(2) "Disproportionate share hospital" means a hospital that meets the definition of a disproportionate share hospital in rules adopted under section 5112.03 of the Revised Code.
(B) "Bad debt," "charity care," "courtesy care," and "contractual allowances" have the same meanings given these terms in regulations adopted under Title XVIII of the "Social Security Act."
(C) "Cost reporting period" means the twelve-month period used by a hospital in reporting costs for purposes of Title XVIII of the "Social Security Act."
(D) "Governmental hospital" means a county hospital with more than five hundred registered beds or a state-owned and -operated hospital with more than five hundred registered beds.
(E) "Indigent care pool" means the sum of the following:
(1) The total of assessments to be paid in a program year by all hospitals under section 5112.06 of the Revised Code, less the assessments deposited into the legislative budget services fund under section 5112.19 of the Revised Code and into the health care services administration fund created under section 5111.94 of the Revised Code;
(2) The total amount of intergovernmental transfers required to be made in the same program year by governmental hospitals under section 5112.07 of the Revised Code, less the amount of transfers deposited into the legislative budget services fund under section 5112.19 of the Revised Code and into the health care services administration fund created under section 5111.94 of the Revised Code;
(3) The total amount of federal matching funds that will be made available in the same program year as a result of funds distributed by the department of job and family services to hospitals under section 5112.08 of the Revised Code.
(F) "Intergovernmental transfer" means any transfer of money by a governmental hospital under section 5112.07 of the Revised Code.
(G) "Medical assistance program" means the program of medical assistance established under section 5111.01 of the Revised Code and Title XIX of the "Social Security Act."
(H) "Program year" means a period beginning the first day of October, or a later date designated in rules adopted under section 5112.03 of the Revised Code, and ending the thirtieth day of September, or an earlier date designated in rules adopted under that section.
(I) "Registered beds" means the total number of hospital beds registered with the department of health, as reported in the most recent "directory of registered hospitals" published by the department of health.
(J) "Total facility costs" means the total costs for all services rendered to all patients, including the direct, indirect, and overhead cost to the hospital of all services, supplies, equipment, and capital related to the care of patients, regardless of whether patients are enrolled in a health insuring corporation, excluding costs associated with providing skilled nursing services in distinct-part nursing facility units, as shown on the hospital's cost report filed under section 5112.04 of the Revised Code. Effective October 1, 1993, if rules adopted under section 5112.03 of the Revised Code so provide, "total facility costs" may exclude costs associated with providing care to recipients of any of the governmental programs listed in division (B) of that section.
(K) "Uncompensated care" means bad debt and charity care.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28,HB 153, §690.10, eff. 9/29/2011.
Repealed by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §640.10, eff. 10/16/2013.
Effective Date: 06-05-2002