(A) The department of mental health and addiction services shall maintain, operate, manage, and govern state institutions and other services for the care and treatment of mentally ill persons.
(1) The department of mental health and addiction services may, with the approval of the governor, designate the name and purpose of any institutions under its jurisdiction and may change, with the approval of the governor, the designation and name when necessary.
(2) The department shall divide the state into districts for the purpose of designating the institution in which mentally ill persons are hospitalized and may change the districts.
(3) Subject to section 5139.08 and pursuant to Chapter 5122. of the Revised Code and on the agreement of the departments of mental health and addiction services and youth services, the department of mental health and addiction services may receive from the department of youth services for psychiatric observation, diagnosis, or treatment any person eighteen years of age or older in the custody of the department of youth services. The departments may enter into a written agreement specifying the procedures necessary to implement this division.
(C) The department of mental health and addiction services shall designate hospitals, facilities, and community mental health services providers for the custody, care, and special treatment of, and authorize payment for such custody, care, and special treatment provided to, persons who are charged with a crime and who are found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of insanity.
(D) The department of mental health and addiction services may do any of the following:
(1) Require reports from the managing officer of any institution under the department's jurisdiction, relating to the admission, examination, comprehensive evaluation, diagnosis, release, or discharge of any patient;
(2) Visit each institution regularly to review its operations and to investigate complaints made by any patient or by any person on behalf of a patient, provided these duties may be performed by a person designated by the director.
(E) The department of mental health and addiction services may provide or contract to provide addiction services for offenders incarcerated in the state prison system.
(F) In addition to the powers expressly conferred, the department of mental health and addiction services shall have all powers and authority necessary for the full and efficient exercise of the executive, administrative, and fiscal supervision over the state institutions described in this section.
History. Renumbered from § 5119.02 by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Former section renumbered as § 5119.08 by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.