(A) The department of developmental disabilities shall do all of the following:
(1) Maintain, operate, manage, and govern all state institutions for the care, treatment, and training of the mentally retarded;
(2) Designate all such institutions by appropriate names;
(3) Provide and designate facilities for the custody, care, and special treatment of persons of the following classes:
(a) Dangerous persons in state institutions for the mentally retarded who represent a serious threat to the safety of the other patients of the institution;
(b) Persons charged with crimes who are found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of insanity and who are also mentally retarded persons subject to institutionalization by court order.
(4) Have control of all institutions maintained in part by the state for the care, treatment, and training of the mentally retarded;
(5) Administer the laws relative to persons in such institutions in an efficient, economical, and humane manner;
(6) Ascertain by actual examinations and inquiry whether institutionalizations are made according to law.
(B) The department may do any of the following:
(1) Subject to section 5139.08 of the Revised Code, receive from the department of youth services for observation, diagnosis, care, habilitation, or placement any children in the custody of the department of youth services;
(2) Receive for observation any minor from a public institution other than an institution under the jurisdiction of the department of developmental disabilities, from a private charitable institution, or from a person having legal custody of such a minor, upon such terms as are proper;
(3) Receive from the department of mental health any patient in the custody of the department who is transferred to the department of developmental disabilities upon such terms and conditions as may be agreed upon by the two departments.
(C) In addition to the powers and duties expressly conferred by this section, the department may take any other action necessary for the full and efficient executive, administrative, and fiscal supervision of the state institutions described in this section.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.128,SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 06-20-1996